What would you do?

Our oldest daughter, who does not live with at home anymore, has bipolar. She refuses to take her medication. She has told us so many lies and has told others lies about our family. Not really sure what my exact question is, just does anyone else have a child with bipolar that will not take their meds, and how do you deal with them. Any advise would be welcome!
Thank You!

HeidisMom800

Asked by HeidisMom800 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• My daughter is bi polar. She takes her meds. She doesn't lie. The lying is about something else going on with your daughter. Maybe a personality disorder like the borderline or histrionic disorder. Bi polar means that a person can be up or down and not be able to control that, but it doesn't mean that lies will occur. Google the symptoms for borderline PD and see if that more clearly matches what is going on your DD. Because sometimes people can have both, bi polar and borderline, and sometimes borderline is misdiagnosed as bi polar.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 9:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• just kill her with kindness BUT don't let her take advantage of you. make sure she knows where the boundary is. bipolar or not she still has a bit of sense.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Stage an intervention maybe? I know this isn't a drug/alcohol situation, but it might help if she realized how much she was hurting herself by not taking her medication. Find out legally what you can do, since she doesn't live with you but is under the age of 21.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• That's her right not to take her medication. She doesn't have any obligation to and she can act any way she chooses. As frustrating and meddening as it may be. However, it's your choice to continue to interact with her and just bear it, or stop contact with her. Your choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• lilangilyn...Thank you for your answer. We had to go to the Dr. today and I talked to her about it. I was not aware of these.  Now if only my DD would go and get help.

HeidisMom800

Comment by HeidisMom800 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011