Does medication help your autistic kid.

The doctor wants me to try and medicate my son. He feels this is going to calm him down, and significantly improve his language. Anyone have experience with this?

I do not want a debate on medication or not.

I feel I owe to my son to try EVERY option. So please do not try to talk me out of it, but just let me know your experience with this. Whether good or bad.

BoogsMommy

Asked by BoogsMommy at 2:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We did not medicate our son until he was old enough to decide for himself that he needed it. His medication is a mild antidepressant that helps take the edge of sensory overload. When he started taking it he started feeling better within a couple of weeks.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My son is unable to communicate which is why he wants to put him on the medication. It is prozac and a very small dose. Did you see more language?
    BoogsMommy

Comment by BoogsMommy (original poster) at 2:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Our son did communicate better after he started taking medication.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• One of my clients recently told me that her son began a medication in September because he was 3 and not talking. Previous speech therapists didn't help him but at the same time he started the meds he started with an excellent speech therapist and started the PLACE program (to help kids from 3-5 who have delays). He's begun talking more and more! So, it's hard to tell if it was the meds or the combination of everything. She's had two different opinions from two different pediatric neurologists!

It's so hard when thinking of meds for a young child. So many things to consider. I wish you the best!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2011