DH wants a 5th!!!!

So, as an April Fool's joke, I told DH I was pregnant.. We already have 4 (3 together, and one is his daughter from a previous marriage). He was excited..I of course told him it was an April Fool's joke, but he said he thought it would be cool to have a 5th...

Now, one day down the road, I told him I wouldn't mind adopting... But, right now, our youngest children are 3, 2, and 1. So, right now, I don't want a 5th...How can I tell him this in a "nice" way. My instinct was to say "HELL NO! Not right now!"...He's a great father, and we could afford another child, but this isn't something I want right now, and I most definitely don't want to birthe any more (I mean, if I ever end up pregnant, then yes, I obviously would, but I don't want to PLAN one).

I'm not afraid to talk to him about it, I just don't know how to put it nicely that I don't want another child right now. I tend to be very blunt, and don't want to come across as cold or anything. Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Just tell him - you are open to the idea of a 5th but not right now - that you wanna wait til the other kids get a lil order - maybe give a timeframe if you have one in mind :)
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 3:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would just tell him that your not ready right now to have another because you have the younger children. I told my husband that I wasnt ready for another one yet because I wanted to watch my lil girl grow up some.
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• get your list set up for the pros of waiting until later to have a child and bring them to his attention
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Just tell him hun babe or whatever you call him...I don't think we need another one right now, maybe its just not the right time
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 2:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Just tell him that it's not the best time but if it happens that you will welcome the blessing and that you are happy with the family you have now.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Just tell him, "I want another child, in 2 to 4 years from now". Give him a long time span so he wont be saying " It's time to have our 5th in 6 months.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You may be able to afford it now, but how about in the future? College costs are rising every semester. Tuition is awful and books can cost as much as $200.00 for one textbook. Grants and scholarships are great but they go to the most needy and the most outstanding. So the chances of all your children falling into that category are slim. And in high school, they will need fees for extracurriculars, trips and senior proms, letter jackets and senior rings. Little children are cheap compared to the costs of older kids. Also, I think your body should be able to retire from having children. Let yourself rest. Enjoy the children you have.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 10:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Well just say honey right now we have the 2 little ones and your not ready to go through the whole being pregnanet thing again and the pain of giving birth. Tell him you want your body to rest for a few but maybe in the future we can talk about it....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011