I was driving home from work and i saw my co-worker walking home, the walk would have been at least 2 hours long, so i stopped and offered her a ride when i noticed she walked across the parking lot and didn't get into a car..

she was very thankful. the next day she asked me for a ride home and i gladly did. (her house is only like 10 minutes away). after i gave her a ride the 2nd time she asked for my number so she could call me in the mornings for rides to work ....!!!!!! i have no problem helping someone out but she basically invited her self for a long term ride/chauffer !!!!! i am not a morning person, and i am usually grouchy and just in my "zone" when i am driving in the mornings ...i use my driving time in the mornings to prepare, psych myself up to face the day. i don't need to spend an extra 5/10 minutes driving to her house in the mornings etc. i need my alone time this early in the day. how do i handle this ?? ps, i gave her my number just to be nice i guess..i did not want her to feel bad that i refused to give her the # but at the same time i do NOT WANT the company on my morning commute. help!!!!!!!

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 2:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Tell her how much she will have to pay you for picking her up every day (gas and inconvenience). Maybe she will not want a ride if she has to fork out $30 a week.

Answer by louise2 at 6:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Be honest. Maybe offer some days not all days. Or to either take her to work or home but not both. It's not like your friends so you won't be losing a friendship. I would just tell the truth.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would just tell her that you have no problem giving her a ride now & then but that you prefer not to do so in the a.m. as that is your time to wake up & prefer for the day
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 3:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• can u not explain the situation with her than other coworkers to help give her rides with you untill she can find other transportation. Its not rude. After all you were already nice to her. If she can't except the fact that you can't do it every time that it's not worth it to do it again.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Tell her you should have thought about it more and you are not available to give her rides in the morning. You can help once in awhile after work, but not every morning. And if the weather is nice the walk after work does her no harm, so don't feel badly that you do not give a ride everyday. Your emotional needs come first. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Tell her your morning routine and schedule are full and you are not able to pick her up.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Be honest. You can't expect her to understand if you hide the fact from her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'd just be honest and tell her that I'm not a morning person and that I really need that time to myself. If you feel guilty, you could always offer that in a pinch, if there's horribly bad weather or something, she could give you a call and see if you can do it, but no promises.

Or you could tell her something like that you have other errands that you run before work or something and so you just can't add this to your list of to do's in the morning.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If you don't want to explain it to her just don't answer her calls I guess and if she comes up to you at work say you can't, that's its out of your way.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I had a girl at my work do this to she never paid me any gas money either, it wasn't that far out of the way but still annoying. lucky she quit a few months later. Just tell her you don't mind giving rides but shes not on your way to or home from work she needs to find someone else to help her out.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 3:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2011