My son bites

My 4 yr. old bites sometimes. He doesn't just walk up and bite someone. Its when were playing rough play with him and he gets in a spot he can't get out of. I am a little ok with it for the fact that I know he is doing it bc he is in a position he can't get out of and he doesn't know what to do. My family insists on punishment for him though. I don't want to tell him to just lay there and give up though. He doesn't do this with kids his age, just adults that wrestle or rough play with him. What do I do?

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 3:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's not biting extremely hard than I think it's fine. If he's biting hard enough to really hurt someone, than maybe you could explain to him that biting is not okay and that it hurts. Suggest other ways he could get out of a position while wrestling. But I don't think punishment is necessary.
    s_mason84

Answer by s_mason84 at 3:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• as long as he doesnt bite other kids i think your good, he probably thinks that he cant win unless he bites
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• it is still wrong tell no more bitting and if you don't like play any more just say enough or uncle the person has to let go
    if not he will bite .i guess he does not like how the adult is playing so as mother put a stop to it
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• This sort of play always stressed me out because the adults thought it was funny. It's understandable he will want to defend himself in some way. Tell the adults to back off. They can still have fun without getting to that point. .......just my opinion
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• just tell him no that it isn't nice to bite and that he shouldn't be doing this and if there is something bothering him to talk to you instead of biting to get his way
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2011