How can I get my son to eat more?

My son is 18 months old and it seems that the majority of his food ends up on the floor. He doesn't seem hungry after meals but I don't see how he could possibly be getting enough food. I make sure he eats a little before giving him a drink and limit snacks close to meal times. Is this just a phase?

s_mason84

Asked by s_mason84 at 3:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our son is the same way - we just keep offering him food & he eats when he's hungry. Our now 3 yr 3 month old went through this same thing at that age. Alot of it has to do with teething & they just don't want to eat. You can offer a pedia sure shake once a day to help make sure they are getting vitamins / minerals if you are worried about it
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 3:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• yes this is phase that they go through by time he is teen he will eat you house and home lol
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Just a phase, don't worry. How about giving him a pediasure just in case?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree with the other moms who suggest pediasure. I also recommend kidessentials, whole milk(because it has the calories) and carnation instant breakfast drinks for days when he doesn't want to eat. Try varying what you're feeding him. My son refuses to try most new things, but he loves bacon, mustard sandwiches, chocolate milk (of course) bananas, oranges, yogurt, applesauce, crackers and pretzels. I feed him whatever I can get him to eat right now (He's 3.5, and he's eaten like this since he was a year old. Docs were worried for a while, but he put on some pounds last spring, so he's good now.)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• When it is meal time only give him water. Kids do not like water as much as other drinks so they will not fill themselves up on water. Feed him 3 meals a day. If he does not eat. Do not feed him again tell the next meal. I never had a picky eater.

Answer by louise2 at 6:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It is a phase. He will not starve. Don't stress out about it as it will only make things worse. Offer healthy foods and snacks and when the food starts going on the floor make it the end of the meal.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes. SOmetimes they are to BUSY to eat!
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• In a word, don't. No child will starve. The very kid that I worried about not eating as a toddler is now 50 pounds overweight and had high blood pressure by age 25.
    Sarahinez

Answer by Sarahinez at 12:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• This is just a phase. It may be because he is too busy to sit in eat, so in that case small snack that are good for on-the-go would be good. But if this is because of teething, soft foods work best (Mac-n-cheese, pastas, jello, pudding, bananas, etc).
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• this too will pass just be patient and continue to offer him food and if it becomes a real concern then I would talk to his doctor
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011