Breastfeeding baby doll... adult content

I nursed my two year old and am still my 7 month old, but I wouldn't buy this doll. As natural as it is I don't thinks appropriate for a little girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KupsmQDdgVE

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 4:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Dolls help children learn how to be a mother later in life. I see nothing wrong with the doll. Just as there is nothing wrong with the doll you give a fake bottle to. Or the doll that pee's after you give it water. Breastfeeding is a natural part of child rearing and it helps young girls become more familiar with the concept. If DD played with dolls I'd certainly buy her one. But she's more of a tom boy anyway.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I disagree dolls are toys, you don't see 16 year olds playing with them. * Preparing to be mothers*. A 3 or 4 year old is playing nothing more, they don't need to learn how to be a mother at that age. I wouldn't buy a doll that pees either it's just unnecessary.
    letlovegrow2524

Comment by letlovegrow2524 (original poster) at 5:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree with letlovegrow. Dolls are toys. Little girls will mimic breastfeeding, peeing, dressing, bottle feeding, medical care and every other aspect of raising babies simply because they see their mommy do it. You don't need a bunch of accessories to aid in this. When I was a little girl, I had a box for a cradle (occasionally used a dresser drawer because I'd been read to about how in the old days that's what some people did.) a cup if I didn't have a bottle, a towel for a dress, etc. It wasn't that my family was poor, just that these things were just as fun to play with as the pretty pink dresses and bottles that pretended to empty on their own. My mother never went for the pottying dolls, and I don't blame her. Messy.

What concerns me is that we're oversexualizing youngsters as it is, with all the youth culture there is out there geared toward sexy clothes for young kids, and acting grown up.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Exactly bikinis for 2 year olds and shorts that have miss attitude on the butt get the hell out of here! Kids need to be kids! Short shorts, belly shirts, dolls dressed as whores really my kids will not be playing with that crap.
    letlovegrow2524

Comment by letlovegrow2524 (original poster) at 5:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Mothers have been breastfeeding sense before man was human just fine wihtout dolls that breast feed. A child doesnt need a specific doll to mimic breadfeeding.

The maker of this doll is taking full advantage of breastfeeding and making a ton of money.

I will never understand the big PUSH to make our little girls grow up. I just dont think there is a need to encourage 3 year olds to breastfeed. They have plenty of time to learn and experience it., I mean come on, those ladies who do breast feed your doing it and didnt need a special doll at 3 years old to teach ya how.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I love it. I don't see any difference between buying a doll that nurses and buying one with a bottle. In fact I think a doll that "breastfeeds" is MORE appropriate because it reinforces the naturalness and acceptance of breastfeeding from a young age. Just like some studies have shown that boys who have dolls as children grow up to be more hands on fathers, I think this doll could go along way in altering the acceptance of breastfeeding once these kids are adults.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think the intentions behind this doll are good. A lot of younger moms especially don't want to breastfeed because it's weird to them. They've grown up being told from a young age that boobs have something to do with sex, but the whole idea of breastfeeding isn't even brought up until pregnancy. I won't be getting this doll for my DD, because I think it's silly that children need a doll to learn about breastfeeding. She has seen my friends feed their babies that way and will see me if we have another baby. We will also talk about it as she grows up. The mothers that would give their child this doll are the ones that will already educate their child about breastfeeding, its not necessary.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 8:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i agree with you op
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I don't see the point of having a doll specifically made FOR that purpose...I think it's rediculous.

I said the other day that I don't really understand how people can say they want the kids to BE kids and stay innocent and whatnot, but then you see 5 yr olds in heels, and those bikinis WHAT is the purpose for that?!?! If a child girl or boy, wnats to pretend to breastfeed a dool-that's fine- I get it, but why have one FOR that...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with the bf'ing doll... I know when I was nursing their little siblings, my older kids, even my boy, would pretend to nurse whatever toy they had handy. I have a picture of my son 'feeding' a Transformer! LOL! Would I personally buy this doll? No- because I think the price tag is outrageous and children can play nurse ANY doll or toy- it doesn't have to be made for that purpose. But I don't think there's anything wrong with a child miming nursing a baby, particularly if it's something that they see at home and accept as normal. Most dolls come with bottles so that children can pretend to bottlefeed... my kids never saw a baby get a bottle so that isn't what they mimicked.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2011