Do you agree that all children are born 'sinful' have no natural goodness in them and therfore need to be disciplined by spanking in order to make them behave and become decent?

All children are born sinful (Romans 5:12-19). Their natural self is destructive and unrighteous. It means that they are not born with any natural “goodness” in them. That is why all children need discipline.

I saw this in a group post in a discussion about spanking your children- you know, the whole 'spare the rod, spoil the child' thing. It was mostly about James Dobson who I guess is supposed to be this 'Christian' who believes in beating his pets and kids or something. (I have no idea if that is true or not, I never looked it up)

Do you agree that all children are born 'sinful' have no natural goodness in them and therefore need to be disciplined by spanking in order to make them behave and become 'good'?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm sorry this is one post were I didn't read all the responses, only because that arguement just plain pisses me off. Way to take things out of context. Displine has another meaning here. To correct a behavior, to teach. The when you look a the Torah it's a scroll between two rods. That is the rod that is being used. NOT a stick.Spare the teachings of God and the Child will not lead a faithful life. That is not say that many don't lead a good and productive life and many ways faithful. How many of you know of Jewish parents that beat their children like some Christain families do? They nurture their children. For our children are gifts from God, they are put into our care, we are to protect them, teach them, not beat them into submission. Again free will.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:32 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• No, I don't. They are born good, IMO, and are a blank slate on which we write.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• FYI, in case it has any bearing in this discussion, I am very familiar w/ James Dobson even tho I am not a practicing christian. I have read several of his parenting books and while he does advocate discipline and parental authority, I have never read anything by him that leads me believe that he encourages beating a child, unless your position is that 'swatting on the behind' as he terms it, is beating. He also states that the rod can be interpreted as various forms of discipline and doesn't necessarily mean corporal punishment. He emphasizes as well the importance of maintaining dignity in the discipline, in other words, not humiliating or making the child feel unloved while being disciplined, in whatever form of discipline you use. just wanted to clear that up about him since you stated you weren't familiar with his positions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Really, every bad thing a child does is because the parent has set a bad example.  For every child who ever found the crayons and colored on the walls they saw their parents do it?  What about the kids who see the candy bar at the store and take it without paying, are their parents kleptomaniacs?  Oh, and of course the kids who bite other children must be doing so because their parents chew on them all of the time.  Do you see the flawed logic in this?  Kids are going to do things that they need to be disciplined for and it is not because their parents are tainting them, it's because they are kids.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• How ridiculous.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think people who have this mind set are dangerous. I also think the universe has a way of dealing with monsters who hurt children.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think kids are born with both selfless and selfish tendencies. Discipline teaches them to focus more on the selfless. Spanking isn't my choice for discipline because I think that hitting people is wrong. I'm a Christian.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Not at all! I find it a very negative view of human nature in general, honestly!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Now, let's not be too hard on Dr. Dobson.  He does say that a paddle or switch should be used rather than the hands so that the children don't associate pain and injury to the parents' hands. . . so at least we know he is a compassionate man. . .

It's funny to me that he has such a following.  Did I say funny?  I meant 'scary'.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I believe children are filled with 100% purity and goodness. They learn destructive behavior if they are being treated disrespectfully and meanly by their so-called "betters". Young happy children can teach us all we ever need to know about happiness and peace.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011