MY MIL is Kinda Sorta Giving Me the Creeps

Her actions at times have been sneaky, and many of the arguments my husband and I have had to do with her capability of playing dumb, when I knew better. We'll bring the baby by for Sunday dinner, and she'd change my daughter out of the outfit she came in and put her in something she bought her half an hour after getting to her home. The most uncomfortable situation was Thanksgiving. She was telling everyone where to sit, and she placed my husband and I at the far end while she sat closely to my daughter. My husband became angry because it was our daughters first thanksgiving and he felt we should be sitting with her. If anyone is holding my daughter she 'll stare at them till they feel so uncomfortable they hand my daughter over to her. Am I just overreacting

Carmiesmom08

Asked by Carmiesmom08 at 1:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• Sounds like Grandma has an overly possesive deal going on. Personally I recommend putting your foot down about it now. The longer you allow it to go on the worse it's going to become. The outfit thing isn't such a big deal unless you like washing clothes before putting them on your baby or have an outfit picked out special. I know a lot of grandparents that buy the babies clothes and like to change them into. You just need to decide what boundaries you and your DH want to put down and force them on her whether she likes it or not. Maybe she doesnt realize how weird she is being about it all.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• No I had the same sorts of problems with my MIL. She's YOUR daughter, so if it makes you upset, than it needs to change. It's your memories that she's disturbing. It's your turn, she's already had her turn with her own babies. Talk to her. If she can't respect the mother of her grand-daughter, then maybe she doesn't need to be around so much. Good Luck =D
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 1:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I have a grandson and that sounds exactly like one of his other grandmothers (a great grandmother). I think she's really creepy. She'll take the baby right out of someones arms because she wants to hold him. If she's there - no one else is allowed to do anything for him. For a while I toloerated it because I'm the youngest grandmother. I'm 43 and she's 70...so, I'm low granny on the totem pole so to speak..lol.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:57 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• cont.... The last family get together she tried to take him from me and I told her that I wasn't finished holding him yet and I turned and walked away with him. If it had been anyone else I would have felt that I was being disrespectful but I didn't because I was just fed up with her "I'm the important grand parent" act. She didn't say a word and she was better behaved the rest of the day. But then again....she doesn't like me much now. That's okay...my happiness doesn't depend on whether or not she likes me ; )
    It's great that your husband see's what she's doing....you have him on your side and that's really important.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• She's doing this because you are allowing her to do this. have a discusion wid her and tell her that you disliek all this.
    Asifa

Answer by Asifa at 2:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Been there done that . Wait unitl she get older . Other wise chill ................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Is t his first grandchild? I'd very politely draw my lines right now. A lot of people have no idea that they don't have the ability to mask their feelings. The "it's written all over your face" thing is more true for some than others so it's possible she doesnt' realize what she's doing but maybe sit her down and tell her everyone's excited about the baby so everyone wants a turn. Hubby should've just gotten up and walked over and taken the child if he wanted to be seated with him.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2008