When to give peanut butter?

So my son is almost 11 months old and we recently went to the ped for a visit and in passing he said it was okay to give my son peanut butter. I again told the doctor that he was 11 months old and he told me yea, its fine. I was stunned! I thought this was a big no-no till they are 2. Let me know thoughts?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 7:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I could be a choking hazard, but unless you have a history of peanut allergies or food allergies in your family, many doctors will tell you it is fine.
    There is a HUGE split in what people feel about food allergies. Some people have this view that introducing the foods later will decrease the risk of allergy. Some feel that by introducing it later will increase the risk. In other words--they have no clue, but each side will spout their ideas at the top of their lungs and make the other side out to be wrong.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The thought on this has changed drastically over the years. 17 years ago it was 1, then 10 years ago, it was 2. I have seen recently people say to wait until 4. I talked to several people this time around and the general consensus was that 1 was fine if there was not history of food allergies.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My older two both had it before they turned one. My baby will when she is old enough. For us it wasn't even a question, in fact with my oldest I never even heard it was a "no-no" But there is no history of allergies in our family, I've never even met someone who is allergic, and we do not vaccinate, which can increase the chances of nut allergies. SO, once I did know you aren't supposed to do it, I didn't see any reason to worry, and did it anyways. If you want to wait til he's 2, that's fine, but I don't see a reason to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Both my girls have had peanut butter around 10 months. There are no allergies in our family. If my kids didn't eat peanut butter I don't know what they would eat, that is like 50% of their diet.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Wow!!! My doc says no peanut butter before age 5 because of it being a choking hazard!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• dancer--if you don't glop it on, and spread it very thinly it will be fine. Docs are warning of that because it seems like there are a lot of parent who completely lack common sense so they have to doctor to the idiots versus those of us who have common sense.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If you spread it on wheat bread thin it's fine. Some ppl are paranoid. It's called caution. No you can't give him a huge spoonful but a little on bread or crackers will not hurt.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Hmm interesting thoughts! I was really surprised and haven't decided yet if we'll give it to him or not yet. I was thinking the same thing as you guys...allergies? But I figured spreading thin would be the way to go regardless because of the thickness. Thanks everyone!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• They are suggesting it now because so many kids have peanut allergies and the thought is so many do because they have not had them until they are 2-3 yrs old. If your body does not get something then it can become allergic (in theory I guess). That is what I was told anyway by my 2 yr old grand daughters pediatrician. She had told me not to give my youngest (shes 6 now) PB until she was 2, told my dd she could give it to my granddaughter at 1.
    So far so good with the kids. My older kids all had it before they were 1. Just dont get chunky.

Answer by gemgem at 9:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We did not give our DD peanut butter until 14 months. There is one person with nut allergies in my family and both sides have asthma (another precaution. It's NOT just if you or someone else has a nut allergy). We spread it over a toasted wheat waffle, so it melted a little. It was very smooth for her. Anyway, we had cell phones in hand ready to call 911 for like an hour. She ended up being fine. Now she eats pb pretty often.

It's only a choking hazard if you use crunch, you must use creamy, or if you pile it on too thick. A thin little coating isn't going to cause any problems.

In general though it's recommended for the kid to be at least 1 year old before being introduced to pb. Basically if you introduce foods to your kids too early that can induce a food allergy, but by waiting too long you can also induce a food allergy. They used to think the longer you wait to introduce a food the safer you are, no. Not the case.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2011