how should i talk to my 11year old about "mother nature"?

my 11 year old has been threw a lot in her life an now "mother nature" takes her place in my daugthers life as well ? let me say that we are not very close she was hurt by her dad an well i think she blames me thus the acwardness between us.well i was cleaning for thanksgiving an found" messy personals" hidden in behind the toliet i asked her if she had been taught about this at school an no with a glare of hate was her response.she is becoming a lady at 11 and will not talk to me about it or anything for that matter? help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Sit her down, and try to calmly inform about it in th best way you can, is there anyone else who she trusts who could talk to her? I think maybe you and her should go to counselling as well, she needs to know that it's not your fault or hers either and you just need to show her everyday how much you love her. I know that she might be embarassed talking to you about this, especially if you're not getting on right now, but maybe drop some leaflets in her room? Or leave her some pads on her bed with the leaflet? Take her out for a meal to celebrate it? Just overall show her how much you really do love her. Good Luck.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 5:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• If she's not comfortable talking with you, there are lots of books written at a young girls's comprehension level that can explain it very well. I'd go out and get her a book, the necessary sanitary items, and write her a letter telling her that you love her, respect her privacy, but are willing to talk if she wants/needs to, and then just leave all of the stuff on her bed for her to look at in the comfort of her own room.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• This is an awkward time for girls her age. Does she normally talk to you about things in her life. Maybe she's just embarrassed. Let her know this is normal and nothing to be embarrassed about. Ask her how much she knows and go from there. Or if she usually doesn't talk to you about things in her life, I agree with the pp get some books or pamphlets from the doctors and leave them on her bed. Let her know that if she has any questions afterward she can always come to you and talk. You have to be open minded. some moms say..."you can talk to me about anything" and then freak out on their kids when they do something or ask something not appropriate. If she sees this is no big deal to you maybe she will open up about it more.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• American Girl has some great books and the magazine can help her open up.
    I am going through some of this with my 9 year old already. Maybe have a girly date- manicure, pedicure and ice cream dates are great.
    Lynn
    phonemomma

Answer by phonemomma at 10:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2008