How many Republicans are on Welfare or collecting Farm or Agricultural Subsidies, or other Federal Benefits like Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid

News Type: Opinion — Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:34 AM EDT
http://gabby3239.newsvine.com/_news/2010/04/10/4141040-how-many-republicans-are-on-welfare-or-collecting-farm-or-agricultural-subsidies-or-other-federal-benefits-like-social-security-medicare-or-medicaid-
The Republicans and Tea Baggers favorite chant is how much they are against socialism and big government. And they love to be against any federal Program regardless to who the program helps or how much good the particular program does.

Yet today after 8 consecutive years of Republican social program cutting, economy ruining tax cuts, war mongering and profiteering our nation is gripped by the worse unemployment in nearly 60 years and we have more people on welfare and food assistance than we have had in at least the last 40 years.

Many of the states with the worst unemployment situations and where peoples unemployment benefits are low or have run out are in the rural south, states like Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Arkansas, and those are the very states that are most in need of the cash assistance, food stamps, medical and housing assistance provided by the Federal government yet they tend to vote Republican year after year.

I have always wondered why that is? I think maybe it is the shame from having been on welfare or maybe it's a reverse psychological thing, where those people know they will get it anyway despite having voted against it.

But for what ever reason they do vote Republican and they do take all of the handouts that the Federal Government provides.

To me they are nothing but hypocrites, who talk down the government as well as the programs that provide a little cash assistance to help provide food for many of their families, housing assistance to keep a roof over their families heads, as well as medical assistance which enables them to be cared for when they are sick or their child gets injured.

I don't begrudge any Republican or their family that is down on their luck, and who in these tough times may have lost their jobs or had their family income severely reduced, the help that only the Federal Government is able to provide. Especially those Republicans who even in the best of times live in our poorest states , and to whom life on the public dole has become a way of life leading to a form of dependence on the Federal Government that last from generation to generation.

But what I do resent is that they act like all the help that they get from the government is something sinful, and what I don't understand is if they hate it so much why do they take it at all?

I think I must be different than Republicans, because if I hated something as bad as they want us to believe they hate welfare and government ran social programs why are so many of the recipients of the benefits of those programs located in the so called Republican Red States?

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I stopped reading at "tea baggers." What is the SOURCE for this drivel? What kind of PROFESSIONAL journalist uses the term "tea bagger to express their opinion?!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I stopped reading after "teabaggers" as well. I dont see how any professional source would use such terminology.

Answer by gemgem at 8:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Pretty much, this whole article is senseless babble from an idiot.

economy ruining tax cuts--Tax cuts did not ruin the economy. Spending like a liberal did.

war mongering and profiteering-- Too stupid to bother with
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oh, I read the whole thing, I just know you are wrong because of how the political system works. Congress is responsible for passing laws and passing the budget and such. I understand how the whole 'warmongering' thing might get blamed on republicans, but anything else would have gone to Congress--which was Democrats. In addition, you do not say how many of those recieving aid in thost states are republicans v. democrats. Where are your numbers? Speculation does not prove fact. It very well could be that the Democrats are the ones on welfare and they didn't turn out to vote for whatever reason. Therefor allowing the republicans to win in those states.
    If you want to write articles such as this you need to do your research and provide facts to back up your opinion. You can't just spout nonsense drivel and claim it to be true.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The Republicans and Tea Baggers

I didn't read past this. This isn't an opinion piece. It is a bash piece. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yet today after 8 consecutive years of Republican social program cutting

What social programs were cut under Bush?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Hmmm...after 8 years of Republicans? Wait, you do realize that Democrats are the ones who pass the laws and OH!!! Guess who ruled Congress? Yep, the Democrats!! In addition, the last 2 years were Democratic rule as well. That was both the President AND Congress.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• LMAO!! The "source" is the Newsvine BLOG!!

Who the heck is "renard?!" LOL  You'd have been better off posting something that your friends' neighbors' cousin said!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Emily, the thing is, this 'op ed' is an attempt to call republicans hypocrites. But the irony is, the same democrats rail against wealth while they are some of the wealthiest in the land who make sure any tax cut goes their way. They want to keep their money because of an elitist attitude. Republicans want them to keep their money because we believe it is theirs to keep. However, that hypocrisy is fine. Republicans taking the services they paid into with their taxes for the entirety of their working life isn't. Farm subsidies exist because of the disparity of the cost to produce a crop and the price paid for the crop. Try going to the grocery store and purchasing ANYTHING without a farmer. (and yes, paper products are the result of a crop - trees are renewable resources)

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I read it. Renard sounds like every other lefty who can't make up his mind. He rails against cuts to welfare programs (and can't tell the difference between some that the gubmint forced people to pay into and owes them their money back, and those the gubmint forces people to contribute to from their paychecks to dole out to people who won't earn a paycheck) and turns right around and rails against people who take the money from any social program (but only if they are republicans).

Renard is confuzzled ~ which is a nice way of saying he's an idiot ... not sure why there is such angst about that word ... it's such a handy, descriptive word (is it unPC to use it now?).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2011