Trouble latching on after circumcision?

I have a 3 day old little boy. He come out eating like a pro! Yesterday he had a circumcision. Ever since then he doesn't want to latch on :( I try and try, he will for two seconds and then start screaming. I have pumped, since I don't like formula. I keep trying to nurse for a least 30mins before pumping though. Anyone else have this problem? His temp is fine and he is peeing and pooping good too. Any thoughts?

sissy0604

Asked by sissy0604 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• FYI babies r in alot of pain after that un necessary procedure!!!! DUH!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He's probably still sore/uncomfortable. My biggest suggestion would be to seek out the assistance of an IBCLC. My first son was born, ready to eat, was circumcised, ended up in the NICU following his circumcision, and after that, refused the right breast. I only nursed him for a short time because I just didn't have the support/information/education I needed. A trip to a qualified IBCLC would've helped. Keep offering, Momma! If you don't have an IBCLC available, you can call a local LLL leader (they do house calls). :)
    katie413

Answer by katie413 at 8:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I never had that problem with my 2 boys but I would definitely call a lactation consultant. The hospital should be able to hook you up with one if you don' have LLL in your area. Or if you have WIC they can get you one as well.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• After my son was circumcised he was VERY sore for the first day. When you are holding him in a nursing position, are you making sure to not squeeze his legs together where it would cause more pain to his penis? How many days has it been since the procedure? He should begin to feel better within the first couple days! Did your doctor recommend to smear a good amount of vaseline on the inside of his diaper, this keeps the penis from sticking to the diaper - which can cause more pain than necessary! Good luck mama!
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It is really common for baby to have trouble nursing after getting circed. (I wish more moms were told about this before hand). Get in bed with him, take off your shirt, and strip him down to his diaper. Stay like that as much as you can. The skin to skin will help to encourage him to come back to the breast. Meanwhile, keep pumping and giving him your milk, this is important to keep your breasts stimulated and keep removing milk so that you will bring in a full supply.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I did not have a problem with either of my boys and neither have any of my friends who have had boys. Try holing him in a different position or laying down with him next to you. I'm sure he will come around!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It's a very common problem for a baby boys to have trouble breastfeeding after circumcisions... it's a coping mechanism for them to kind of shut down after the trauma.

Keep working on it... hopefully he will perk up.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It was done yesterday morning. He started nursing from both sides again around lunch. Thanks everyone :)
    sissy0604

Comment by sissy0604 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• my little boy wan't circ'd and refused to bfeed on day 3. He suddenly started latching on a nursing again the next day. Maybe to two aren't related.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• To the first person to post need to shut up its no reason to be mean and rude
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 11:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011