Homes?

If you had a chance to buy a new home or fix the one you live what would you do? I have mentioned to my husband that we should look at double wides because it would be better for us than keep fixing our trailer up. Do you guys agree or should we keep fixing ours up? I think by buying a new double wide we could have money to spend rather than putting into a trailer that we might get rid of. I could really use some advice.

shelle21

Asked by shelle21 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It depends on what needs to be fixed. If it's fixed properly then you may not have to fix it again. The more you upgrade on your trailer the more value it holds for resale. So it would be important to figure out if the renovations you're making ar benefiting your value of your trailer or if you're just wasting money. Like honestly figure that out, because that's the key factor.

Now, buying new would be benefit in a lot of ways. However, it also depends on if you'd need to purchase a piece of land or if you can put the double wide on your existing property. If you can put it on your existing property then okay. However, if you have to buy an extra piece of land then you're losing out on money by going that route.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think it depends on what is needed exactly to fix yours up. Is it almost done or is it never ending? You really have to compare the total cost of doing each.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• if it is a trailer, I would say get a new one. Especially if your in a single wide and moving up to a double wide.
    Are you talking trailer or mobile home? I've seen some beautiful mobil homes.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would LOVE to fix up the place I live in now but it's a family home (granny's) and everyone is VERY set on keeping it looking like her home.. so I would have to find a house with no family memories and buy it lol
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have no idea what a double wide costs, but have you considered buying a "prefab" home on your OWN lot?! As I understand it, if you own a trailer, you do NOT own the land it sits on, and therefore your investment is not worth anything. When you own the land your home sits on, the value of your residence increases dramatically, and THEN it becomes more worthwhile to make improvements, AND you would qualify for home improvement loans and tax credits!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Before I would buy a new double wide I would seriously look at getting a house. For the price you can get a home that is better constructed and safer (we live in tornado ally and I would not live in a trailer for anything).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Id buy New before Id fix one. Much less hassels.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• For US, new would be better (not new-new, just new-to-us) because even fixing up our current home just isn't enough - we've outgrown it and have nowhere to build on. And honestly, if I lived in a trailer (used to, before having kids), I wouldn't spend a dime to fix one up, I'd move up to a different one!
    Anonymous

• I would love to buy a new house because I want more property. We're in a great house on a small lot. We completely remodeled it, but I would still like another bedroom, a third or fourth garage, and a bigger yard. We were going to build a new house last year, but DR Horton changed the plans and we found out literally as we were signing papers that they took FIVE FEET off the ceiling height so we walked away.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011