Too much iron for a 3 year old??

Our pediatrician recently told us that our 3 year old son is anemic. He prescribed iron drops for him to take, 2ml twice daily. However, I noticed that the box for the drops says a normal dose for a child under 4 is 1ml a day, 1 ml being 150% of the daily value of iron. So now I'm a little confused. Do I follow the doctor's instructions or the box? It just seems a little drastic to be giving him 600% of iron a day. Can't such a high amount of iron be poisonous? Please take into consideration the fact that my son is very, very small for his age. He is in the 3rd percentile for height and weight. I'm just worried about the safety of such a large dose. So far I've been giving him the 1ml daily until we can see the ped. again at his next appointment, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I certainly don't want him to be anemic. I already asked the ped. about the dose and he told me that it was correct. So I'm not sure what to do. Should I double check with the pharmacy for a second opinion? Any input would be greatly apperciated. Thank you in advance. :)

mommaudie

Asked by mommaudie at 9:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• You can ask the pharacist and you can do online research. Google iron drops and see what you find out. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would call the Pharmacist and ask is that an Average dose for a child your sons age & weight who is diagnosed as anemic. It may also make him constipated so keep an eye on him. GL! I would also offer him more eggs, red meat and green leafy vegetables.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• When anyone is anemic, they need excess iron to make it up - he wouldn't have to be on that dose forever, just for a little while to get his levels up. So keep him on the dose the doc said, and at his next appointment they'll likely draw blood, see how he's doing, and lower the dose if his levels have improved. I went through it myself after the birth of my first baby, I had to take 6x the recommended iron to get my levels back up, and I currently take 2x the recommended dose. The dose on the box is just a "maintainer" dose - it won't help anyone who's anemic.
    Anonymous

• I wonder why the doctor didn't suggest nutritional changes...

Anyway, I would stop the drops; eliminate dairy (it can leach iron), and focus on iron rich foods. Be sure to include a vitamin C rich food (like peppers, strawberries, kiwi) with iron rich foods; C increases the absorption of the iron. You can find a listing of iron rich foods here: http://www.soystache.com/iron

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011