What are your thoughts on the ODD diagnosis some kids are getting now?

ODD is defined as:

A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least 6 months, during which four (or more) of the following are present:

often loses temper
often argues with adults
often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
often deliberately annoys people
often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
is often angry and resentful
is often spiteful or vindictive

What are your thoughts on this fairly new Dx in the DSM-V? Some see it as an over diagnosis as most hormonal teenagers/toddlers act this way and think its just an excuse for bad parenting...others are deeply concerned and believe it to be very real...you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I think they need to be careful with the diagnosis. It is not new. My son was diagnosed with it years back. It was a misdiagnoses. He actually had Bipolar disorder. On top of it some of it is quite normal teen behavior that I feel maybe some parents are so unprepared for they run to their doctor asking for an answer.

Answer by gemgem at 9:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm guessing that for an extremely small number of children, this is a valid diagnosis and real problem. For the most part, it sounds like negative behaviour resulting from lack of attention, unchecked behaviour and poor modelling.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm going to have to agree with Nonoluna on that one. It sounds like a categorization for a lot of different behaviors that can easily be traced back to the aforementioned things.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The only child I know who has been diagnosed with this was diagnosed within a month of his dad moving across country and him being left with a mom who is less than stellar. I see most of these traits in the boy (who was diagnosed several years ago), but I only see them when he is dealing with his mom or with former teachers in the public school system that looked at him as a problem child. This boy is my daughter's boyfriend and I tutor him for several hours a day, and have done so for nearly two years. I see a lot of the kid and I think a lot of this would go away if the adults who bring it about would treat him more like a human being and less like a problem they have to deal with. I really feel for him, instead of getting him help when his parent's marriage feel apart, his mom got him a label. It's really sad.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I worry my daughter has this.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It can also point to something more serious, like Bipolar disorder. Diagnosing someone with ODD who has Bipolar disorder is like diagnosing someone with the flu that has cancer. Both treatable, but treated far differently.
    Personally I do not believe a small child can have ODD.

Answer by gemgem at 9:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Sorry, I know I'll probably get some down votes here, but this sounds like more of a behavior issue than a physiological or psychological one. It's almost like the medical world is giving permission for a child/teen to act like a complete brat & blame it on their "disorder". Now maybe some felt this way when ADD/ADHD was first diagnosed, so if that turns out to be the case, I guess I'm eating some crow. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• This will probably make a lot of people angry... in a way I'm sorry for that and in another I'm not at all...

My husband used to work in a juvenile correctional facility and they had several kids "diagnosed" with this... both he and I think it's a BS diagnosis... what their "problem" is, They are teenagers acting out and rebelling. Simple as that! Parents are frustrated don't know how to handle the rebellion and doctors are "overworked and underpaid" (supposedly) and give a BS diagnosis and drug them up and send them home.

Now I'm not saying there aren't some legitimate issues with some of them that do very much need to be treated, but O.D.D. is a "catch-all" when most of them are just being rebellious teenagers and acting out for attention and driving their parents crazy.

Doctors and parents (not all of them) just want a "quick fix" and use this kind of "diagnosis" and drugs to make it easier to deal with them.
    CCnAMPsMama19

Answer by CCnAMPsMama19 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My daughters official diagnosis is ADHD, ODD, and depression. The psychiatrist says she is actually Bipolar but being a 6yo he can't diagnose is officially yet. I think ODD is very real. My girls were in therapy for a year (12 hours intense in my home) with NO change in behavior. Social services is involved because of their behavior in school but they closed the case after seeing no improvement after medication and behavior therapy (plus they saw my parenting and said I am doing everything I can). My uncle was diagnosed with ODD 20 years ago...so it is not new at all.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• "The psychiatrist says she is actually Bipolar but being a 6yo he can't diagnose is officially yet."

So he just diagnoses her with something else? Thats irresponsible behavior on the Dr's part in my opinion.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011