Have you ever had a colonoscopy? adult content

Was it bad after words? Did you have a lot of gas pain after? Did it hurt to pass bowels? Should a person wait a couple days before eating a heavy meal? Sorry if this is TMI, I have a colonoscopy scheduled and I am a bit nervous.

aka_speezolove

Asked by aka_speezolove at 9:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Health

• No,just a little bit of gas but the kind you can't control,lol! You can eat normally as soon as you want

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My son has them 2 a year to remove polyps. He said he doesn't really feel anything after he has it done and he always eats a huge meal that night. Dont worry momma, everything will be ok. Good luck!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes, the only bad thing about this procedure is the before preparation, where you spend the day in the toilet cleaning out your intestine, the actual procedure is a breeze and so is the recovery.

Answer by older at 9:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Not a big deal. The prep can be the biggest problem as said earlier. Ask for a mild over the counter prep solution.  I forget the name of the one I used but it was mild and in a small bottle. I didn't experience any pain with the prep or the proceedure and you want to eat sensibly afterwards and gradually get back to normal.  You will receive a lot of info when you go in for the proceedure and ask all the questions you want.  There is no such thing as a stupid question when you have not experienced something before. Good luck!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I haven't gone through it but my Mom did and she didn't complain about it at all. If there'd been a problem, I would have heard. It's time for me to get mine scheduled I suppose. Better to know if there's a problem in plenty of time (my mother died of colon cancer) than not, imo.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I've had two of them. As everyone says, the worst part is indeed the prep. That hurt to have multiple bms because it aggravated my hemorrhoids. The only discomfort after that is the gas you will need to pass after the procedure, but during the procedure you are so drugged up you don't care what is happening. As far as diet goes, the doctors have always told me to advance as tolerated. Meaning if you feel up to eating after all is said and done to go for it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• And I meant to add that if you eat sensible, light, meals the day before the prep is even easier.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Nonoluna, I am very sorry to hear about your mom :(
    I have colon cancer in my family too. I have been having bad bowel symptoms and bleeding and that is why I am getting this done. I am only 29, but you never know. I agree...better safe than sorry and its never to early.
    aka_speezolove

Comment by aka_speezolove (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It was almost painless and I had no problems during or after the colonscopy. The PREPARATION for it was awful, just awful.
    Good luck...it really is not painfaul...they "drug you up" and you feel so relaxed and carefree...Lala land. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The prep is worse than the aftermath. Go back to food slowly. Having such empty bowels can cause cramping and diarrhea in some people, but I don't believe everyone has that.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2011