Talking with a country accent.........

My almost 3 year old daughter in June is starting to talk with a country accent. Her biologic father is country but they have never spoken. Can she inherit that accent? It's the cutest thing ever.

afrobaby

Asked by afrobaby at 9:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ive never heard of that lol. My dd is 6 and has a country accent but we live in the south. It really is adorable.

Answer by gemgem at 9:44 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• No, you don't inherit accents from your family. Accents are merely representations of where you live. For example, if I moved from Michigan to England right now over time my mid-western accent would turn English. Not because of anything other then being constnatly exposed to the dialect (etc). Now, some children also develop accents even if we ourselves don't notice their origin. A child in her preschool class might have an accent that she's mimicing, or something she heard on TV.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• LOL! I know what you mean. We are southern, but there are certain words that we swear DS says with a NY accent. Dessert (his favorite thing in the world) is "dessoit." Cracks me up!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I do not think that is inherited, I worked with a country girl that had a deep southern accent and it stuck to me like glue, but inherited no.....

Answer by older at 9:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• nah, she learns from what she hears. I have a slight Georgia drawl that I have never been able to get rid of no matter how hard I try.. learned the speak there and it's annoying with everyone asking me to tell a story so they can hear my accent. blah!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Lol I didn't think so. We live in Central Florida and she is around me me all the time. She dosent go to any school and the only thing she watches in little bear. And I don't think he talks country.
    afrobaby

Comment by afrobaby (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• we have southern accent but omg when my son goes to visit my grandparents in TN he comes home with a mountain twang. We have to tell him to stop talking like that. He speaks just like my papaw after being around him for a week or two. maybe she is picking it up from a cartoon character or a teacher..another relative?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oh....I live in Central Florida too. It's where you live. I have a southern accent, my entire family loves to make me talk when we go up north, they think it's "just so cute" how I talk. lol My youngest son has a major southern drawl, and I make him talk so I can hear it...geez, I'm as bad as my family. lmao

Seriously, though, in FL you can get a southern accent. Especially the central area. I don't know exactly where you live, but if it's around a lot of horse farms, or kind of out in the country, there's probably a lot of people that have one. You probably just don't notice because you're so used to hearing it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Um, serious question here...wth is a "country" accent? How does someone "talk country"?
    Anonymous

• Yes accents are inherited sometimes
    angelsmurf1989

Answer by angelsmurf1989 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2011