How can I start a Vegetable Garden without a tiller?

This is myfirst garden and i want to do it right. Thanks!!

Momofboys22

Asked by Momofboys22 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i don't till mine. just clear grass and plant according to the package. no issues
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:59 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Can you rent one? Shoveling is the way to turn the soil if you have to go that route. Got some teens around who can help?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:59 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I just have the kids help me by using shovels.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I never have tilled mine and I have a medium garden. I just treat it first to get rid of critters. You can get that stuff at walmart, make sure it doesnt kill veggies or plants. Then you can use a shovel and turn over the dirt, and add soil you buy at the store as well. I would start the garden however in peet pots, once they grow a little, then add them with the soil from the peet pot into the ground. Use Miracle grow.

Answer by gemgem at 10:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If you have an established garden area then you can just turn it a bit or use a thick garden rake (not a leaf rake), but if you are wanting to put a garden into what is just grass you'd be better off renting a tiller (or looking on craigslist for someone who will come and do it for you....I got mine tilled for $20 last year)! OR you can do a raised bed garden, by a raised bed kit or the lumber and supplies and create the sizes you want, on top of the grass, and then build it up with soil and compost. And plant on top of the grass.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Thank you ladies. I live in North Georgia area and there is a lot of slate here lol.
    Momofboys22

Comment by Momofboys22 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• use a shovel
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Do a square foot raised garden bed!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2011