Can someone explain to me the "tea party" ?

I don't wanna sound like a total idiot, but I have a really hard time understanding politics even though they interest me. (it just runs in my blood, my grandfather was a senator!)
Can someone please not laugh at me and explain to me what the "tea party" is?
what they stand for?
specifically what they are trying to cut/get rid of?

Thanks!

aka_speezolove

Asked by aka_speezolove at 10:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.teapartypatriots.org/mission.aspx

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2010/10/tea-party-philosophy-what-we-believe/

Tea Party 'members' follow a set of principles. The people of the movement don't shout slogans. They aren't about violence and ruining anyone. They don't break windows, get arrested, or leave a mess. None of these things fit into the principle of respect and property having value because it belongs to someone else. If the TP had done the protesting in WI, they would have cleaned the Capital instead of trashing it. Oh, wait, they did go clean up after the protesters left. Hmmmm.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Ok, all that sounds "reasonable", but I fear it leaves people behind that cannot take care of themselves such as the disabled and elderly.

Your fear is unfounded.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oh please! It sounds like you are trying to start trouble. I can't believe you would even suggest that people that don't go to church don't donate for social needs! If you are too uncomfortable to go to a church for help, that is your problem. I can tell you that Catholic Charities/Relief Services and St. Vincent de Paul are big big providers of social needs. They don't care if you go to church or not. Almost everyone can spare an hour of their time a week to a worthy cause...if it is nothing but baking a cake mix and taking it to the homeless shelter.

People were surviving LONG before there was a govt there to catch them..they can again if necessary.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am a Tea Party member and our groups primary focus is FISCAL responsibility. We have a wide range of opinions on social issues..some are pro life...some pro choice...some for gay marriage...some not......etc.. Together as a group we realize that if we don't get the money under control in this country there won't be any social issues to worry about. Social issues are better left off the national stage and left in the states and communities where it affects the everyday citizen.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Ok, small words. 1. smaller government. 2. a government that doesn't spend more than it takes in. 3. a reduction of spending and taxes to reduce the size of government. 4. free enterprise (you are free to open any legal business you want and should be able to earn a living off that business) 5. personal responsibility for your life, your bills, your children, your job. 6. you are free to practice whatever religion you so choose and not force any other religion into the background (like is what happening to Christianity). 7. your religious beliefs (or no belief at all) will steer your decisions on abortion, marriage, sexual orientation. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oh, the poor, charity starts at home. It is the realm of the church to help the poor and disabled. The forced charity of the government reduces the tithing at churches, donations to charities, and volunteer hours. Communities are best fitted to take care of those in need. The gov't hasn't done anything but throw money at it where it all gets eaten up in 'administration costs'.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The forced charity of the government reduces the tithing at churches, donations to charities, and volunteer hours

If you don't go to church of any kind and tithe, then the ^^^^ 'donations to charites, and volunteer hours'...... How many soup kitchens are run by churches? How things are donated and then given for FREE to the needed by churches. My brother donated a car to his church, they repaired it and GAVE it to a needed family. There is a Christian book store in town that gives the books and the clothing away for FREE - no questions asked. There are soup kitchens that operate under a name that doesn't identify them with a church so people will not get all perjiggity going in. Churches have always done this type of thing better than anyone. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• What would happen if we got rid of the social programs?

People would go to work. Just like they did before the gov't started taking care of them. Just like they did before all of the social programs. These programs haven't helped people in the long run. They have made them dependent on the state. There is no time that being dependent on the state to meet your every need is good. It will take time to get the people to change the mind set back to being people who work instead of people who receive handouts. Then, the social programs that are needed aren't so massive. There will also be people who need help, but not on this scale.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• how is this fear unfounded?
    Seriously.
    Many people who are elderly and disabled have NO ONE besides the government to help them survive.

Because nobody is going to end medicare or social security. But it needs fixed or it will end due to lack of money.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• (that often times will preach to them or choose not to help non-members of their church)

Most do not.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011