Is your area prejudiced against a certain group of people/religion/race?

My area is primarily muslim, I'm not, but most of my friends are. I'd say everyone's pretty open round here and I've never seen any sort of prejudice going on but I when I travelled to another country recently I noticed a lot of discrimination.

What's your area like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not publicly, or blantantly,but yeah, I'm sure there is predjudice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yeppey
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Well, I'm biased. I would say that my area has a subtle prejudice against pretty much anybody who's not white or heterosexual, but I'm the mother of biracial children, one of whom happens to be gay. There are only a few instances where I've witnessed overt hostility to either of these groups, but I would say that there's an undercurrent of prejudice against anyone who deviates from the "norm" (which in my area is white, anglo saxon protestants with very traditional upbringings). People are generally more patronizing than anything else. But, like I said, I'm biased.

lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• This section is full of prejudices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes. You don't see it or hear it, but it's there. Around here, if you're White & Mainstream Christian you're in, otherwise, you are facing a lot of subtle discrimination. I mean, there aren't any burning crosses or anything. But people will make a point to not talk to you, or to park in your spot or to not invite your kids to parties and so on... We are still very "segregated" in the fact that we have a "black neighborhood" and a "white neighborhood." And we even have a "Black Church" which is right next door to the "White Church" even though they the same faith. It's hard to explain if you aren't here. And it's finally changing! About a year ago the first interracial couple moved on to my street and they haven't been any less accepted than us - but I will note that I couldn't even tell you my neighbors names, so it's not a tight area.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We're making small steps in the right direction, but it's taking time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Not at all, here in NY and in the surrounding counties, you can't get much more multicultural then here! Different cultures congregate in concentrated areas but we all mesh together without any issues. It really is a melting pot of many culture & religions all living together. Never really have any thoughts about it, It's just normal life for us here.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Politicians..........I'm afraid I do pre-judge politicians. I'm skeptical of all of them even when I should know a few bad apples shouldn't spoil the entire group.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I live in the Twin Cities area where there is a huge variety of people who follow a bunch of different religions and political beliefs and many gays and lesbians and many from foreign countries....a melting pot. LOL.

BUT in the little suburb I live in they are really quite conservative and not as accepting of differences at as those who live right in the Twin Cities. I keep my mouth shut and avoid letting these Conservatives in my neighborhood that I am not Conservative. LOL. It is a lot more pleasant that way.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Not that I am aware of.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2011