Do you ever play dumb just to make things go smoother? (IRL)

i find myself doing it with certain people because they've got such egos that they can't stand being argued with about little things. it's usually just little stuff so the conversation goes more smoothly, but after awhile it's annoying. i feel like if it really matters so much to be right all the time over the most miniscule of details, then go ahead and get your kicks, i don't need to win every little thing to know my own worth and intelligence. i'd rather not waste my time being argumentative. i'd rather enjoy a conversation than get hung up on stupid details

juliness

Asked by juliness at 10:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• I do with 1 person, and 1 person only. But I shouldn't have to put up with them for much longer. Otherwise no, I'll argue about whatever I want to argue about, or walk away.
    Anonymous

• No!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I had a disagreement the other day with my boss about procedure and he said he signed my pay check so do it his way. I agreed with him and laughed it off, but in a perfect world the company signs his paycheck and wants it done a certain way (the way I was doing it). It was miniscule and pointless and on any given day I do it the way I was trained and not his way except when he is around (c; I do the same thing just to keep peace, but yes it does get annoying

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i'm talking about like when someone is trying to argue about something so stupid, to actually get heated up about it would be dumber than ignoring it. i don't like to waste my energy on dumb conversations with people who need to feel superior so badly they want to prove it every two seconds
    juliness

Comment by juliness (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I know what you mean, but I find it hard to just play dumb and ignore.

Answer by older at 11:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• LOL! Play dumb? No. Look at them like they are an idiot and tell them to just go on with their business and leave me out of it, sure. I tell them fine, don't listen to me, yeah. But, no. I don't play dumb. That doesn't work with my, I cannot hide my feelings. They show on my face to clearly it's not funny.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oh yes,I agree luvmygrlz....in an Office setting, when dealng with a "dumb boss" or an opinionated stubborn boss, I would NOT argue and I would just smile and ignore anything too controversial but I don't see that as "playing dumb". That is the way to get along and keep your job! :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• No, I NEVER have "played dumb".
    I have a problem with people who really ARE dumb so why would I want to play dumb?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2011