CPS and the school~Are they just doing this as a scare tactic?

Ok I am like massively stressed out cause I am very confused as how this could happen.

To start this very long story, I just wanted everyone to keep in mind that my twins go to daycare in the morning, then to preschool at an actual school then back to daycare afterwards.

A couple weeks ago, my twins got into a little sibling fight at daycare over the kitchen center and one of my girls smacked her sister in the face with a toy and gave her a nice little shiner. They went to school with perfectly fine attitudes. About an hour after being there, I received a phone call from the school stating that one of my girls came to school with a black eye and my other one came to school with 2 scratches on her arms. I told them that the scratches were from our little cat at home. And as far as the black eye I wasn't sure where it came from and that I would go straight to the daycare to find out what caused it. I went to the daycare and discovered that they did get into a fight at daycare. So I had the daycare write up an incident report so I can take it to the school so that they didn't think that it happened at home. I took the paper to school, went home, picked up my husband and went to get the kids from daycare.

The next day, I took them to daycare, and as I dropped them off, the head lady came up to me and said "I just wanted to let you know that after you left yesterday with the kids, a CPS worker called about the black eye." I told her I would go talk to the school to find out what was going on because this was the first time that I had heard anything. I went to the school and found out that it was standard procedure for this and that they weren't looking into me, that CPS was investigating the daycare for the black eye. About 2 hours later, I received a phone call from the worker confirming this. This investigation lasted about 2 days and I never heard anything back.

Everything was fine until 2 days ago. I got the kids up, got them dressed and fed, and took them to daycare, went and did a WIC shopping and came home. *Please note: When someone knocks on my door, I know their knock, but this was different* About an hour of me being home, I received a weird knock on my door, I looked out the peep hole and saw a lady hiding half way down my stairs, so I opened the door, stepped outside, and closed the door behind me. This lady didn't have a badge and didn't release her name. She told me that she was an investigator from CPS and that she was in charge of investigating 2 bruises found on one of my children. I told her I was un-aware of any bruises and she told me that she needed to do a "FACE-2-FACE" with my children at daycare. I told her that was fine and she went straight up there. My impression of a Face 2 Face is like how you see someone when your talking to them. I waited about 35 minutes, talked to my husband and he told me to go get the kids from daycare and bring them home. I went to the daycare, and discovered that this lady had taken my kids into a back room, pulled part of their pants down and lifted their shirts and took pictures. The daycare lady told me that she had told the lady that the only way that the school could of seen these is if they were doing what she was doing...pulling down their pants and lifting their shirts. *Mind you, my children don't need assistance in going potty*. I was a bit disturbed because this lady didn't tell me she was going to be taking pictures of my children like this and that I wanted to be there, cause this had to have been weird and a little scary for them.

I brought my children home, and waited 4.5 hours for this lady to call me. I called the CPS office to find out who it was and got her number after I didn't receive a phone call. I called her and left a message. About an hour later, I got the phone call from her. She said that the bruises on my child's hip were not brand new and not significant enough for her to investigate. But then she brought up the issue of hygiene. She stated that there was a report made by the school stating that I was sending my children to school with dirty clothes. I told her that I wasn't only the only point of contact before they get to school and that the girls eat at daycare, do arts and crafts that do tend to get messy, but I would never send my children anywhere with any dirty clothes. And I told her that yesterday, I sent one of my girls in a very cute CLEAN pink shirt, and when I got her home, it was covered in some kind of food sauce.

She told me that she wanted to come and do an in-visit at my home to make sure that my children were safe and being well taken care of. She told me that having 2 special needs kids and having one on the way had to be very stressful for me. *How did she know I was pregnant---The school released this info* I told her to call me back in 15 minutes and I would tell her the time and date when we could do the visit. She never called back. Was this a scare tactic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no, i would be expecting her to call back. and i would be wondering why the fuck teachers are pulling my kids pants down at school.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Considering how CPS has messed up in a large amount of cases that resulted in a kids death, this might very well be a scare tactic of sorts, but don't worry if you got nothing to hide then nothing will happen.

Answer by older at 11:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• No it isn't. Take this seriously and proactively. Keep on top of these people respectfully....they have so many cases, you don't want your children to get caught up in their mess of a system. When this is all over I would find out info from their schools and perhaps move your children. I have a dumb question... do you work outside the home?
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• No, I don't think so. Do not take this personal. It is what they have to do because someone who is a mandatory reporter called them. When I read your story I had two thoughts, I am glad that is OTHER cases they do this because some children actually are being abused. The other is that the way this was handled was completely wrong and I can only imagine how upset, frustrated and sick you have felt. The best thing to do is just to ride it out ( politely and sweet :-) ) and jump through any hoops they might need to finish and life will go on. Look at this logical and it won't bother as much. it is now just something that will be soon in the past and at this point you just have to deal with it, do not try to fight it, but I would sure make a complaint as soon as it is all done so that others won't have to go through the same thing. I would be curious to know of any rights you might have had that they didn't allow
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If it were me, I would get a legal consultation after it is all over and see if there is any gounds to actually base an arguement on. In the mean time, just write down things -Logically not emotionally- of what exactly happened, what you were told etc. so that you have it incase you want to make a protest. Things are all messed up these days. it is sad that good people have to go through things like this, but on the flip side I can tell you that this procedure for some other kid could save and or make a positive change in their lives. Good luck, Hugs !! Keep your chin up and don't focus on the negativity of it all.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would take it very seriously. I had a daycare call CPS on me for a bruise my son got while in THEIR care, and that they'd had me sign an accident report for. I just went through the whole process with CPS, they knew that I hadn't done anything, and that was the end of that. I did, however, go to that daycare and rip them a new one. I laid into them for callling CPS for something that happened in their facility and that they KNEW happened in their facility and trying to blame me for it. I made very clear to them that my children would not be returning to their facility and that I would be making sure that EVERYONE that I talked to from that day forward was going to know about the shoddy way they run their facility.

And in your case, I'd be laying into them about violation of privacy. There was no reason for them to tell anyone that you were pregnant, along with the under clothes bruises. That's very suspicious to me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We have been kind of skeptical about the schools process because a couple weeks ago, my daughter threw a temper tantrum at school and proceeded to strip her clothes off. The teachers watched this happen, let her throw her fit while naked, then put her clothes back on, had to "lightly" restrain her and then called me. These are the same teachers that called CPS on us. They told me that they were trained to physically restrain children so they wont hurt others or themselves. Why didn't anyone call me as the incident started? My husband and I are thinking of pulling them out of the school and doing home schooling for the girls, because this is really disturbing to me. I called the school district and I am having a super-intendant call me after spring break.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i've worked as a social worker, not for cps but in close conjunction with them, and this whole story seems a bit off...i dont think you're lying, i think someone else is...i would request a face to face meeting with the worker, his/her SUPERVISOR and someone from the school present to get all the facts straight. i've seen some workers get their panties all in a twist over some sort of personal bias and go way out of line to tear a family apart when it wasnt necessary at all. i'm not saying this is the case, im just saying that this does happen. be sure to jump through all their hoops and dont miss any appointments and do all the stuff they ask though.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would call an attorney

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• the school has to report everything that is odd from behavior to marks my son needed help unbottoning and buttoning his pants to go to the bathroom when he started preschool so they called me in cuz he didnt wear his underwear one day
    angelsmurf1989

Answer by angelsmurf1989 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2011