I need to clean but don't want to...

what do you do to get motivated?

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Haha! Since no one has answered yet, maybe none of us are motivated either! Really, I just force myself to do it, one room at a time. I break up each room into several accomplishable tasks, that way I can check them off the list and I feel like I'm making progress.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I always have trouble getting motivated. I find that if I get other people to help me get overwhelming tasks done, then I find it easier to tackle the simpler tasks. For example, my kids had their stuff all over the living room floor a week or so ago (which it's their mess, so they needed to clean it up anyway, but...), so I made them help me clean it up, and once that was done, I had no problem motivating myself to dust and vacuum. I wanted everything else to look as nice, so that was my motivation.

If I can't get anyone to help me, then like ACL2007, I take what seems overwhelming and break it down. I tell myself I just need to get this one task done, but I often find once I finish one, I want to do another, and another until eventually I realize I've just finished that seemingly overwhelming job.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Music makes it a lot more enjoyable. I work faster, get more done, and am much more willing to do it if I put some music on.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 11:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I put on really fast paced music and dance my way through it.

Answer by older at 11:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I've had the same load of laundry sitting in my living room all week waiting for me to put it away. Don't look to me for motivation =P
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• LOL, I usually turn on an Episode of WifeSwap or Hoarders. If that doesn't work I start thinking about how busy our house is and how it is not unusual in the slightest for somebody to drop in. That usally works for me.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• listen to music
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2011