At what age do you have "the talk" with your kids?

I was wondering at what age you think it's appropriate to have the birds and the bees talk and what you talked about. And also how comfortable the convo was..

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 11:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I started doing that talk with my teenager daughter about she's 15 years old ,I'm very. Open about important matter with me because at this age is very curious about stuff ,she also asked me about it I have to be honest and tell her whats going to happen and stuff,thank god that she listen to me and always talks to be about it most of her friends now is doing what kids a doing. Now getting pregnant in such an early age ,but things are going to be ok with you when they grown and you will be ready talk about that sometimes you will be surprised too because kids would ask you that topic so be ready for that
    Donnabell_nyc

Answer by Donnabell_nyc at 12:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We've not had "the talk" and my kids are 7 & 10. We have, however, had numerous smaller talks that cover most of the big talk stuff. I've talked to them since they were little, in age appropriate ways. Things like good/bad touch, knocking before entering the bedroom because we might be "loving" each other, and gradually moving up as their ages increase. My SO will probably have a somewhat big talk with the oldest in the next year or so, as he is getting to that age where it will be necessary to be more blunt and spell it out to ensure he doesn't end up getting a girl pregnant or something.

I actually joked the other night that when it came to condom usage that I was going to really drill it into their heads. I said I was going to make it part of their good nights. "I love you, sleep tight, wear a condom, see you in the morning." lmao I would never really do that, but I do believe in making sure that you keep the talk going.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• As soon as they hit puberty. Also let them know they can come to you with anything. Make sure you drill that in their heads. My children know they can come to me with anything, and I will not judge them. Of course if its something that isnt appropriate for their age...I will def talk their ear off, but be reasonable. My kids are fully aware of this, and they still have come to me with issues. Well, my oldest son has. He is almost seventeen. Hopefully my thirteen year old will also.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• 45??
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 12:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• @ PrincessStacy LOL
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• just act like there is no such thing as sex lol
    AnnieSparks

Answer by AnnieSparks at 5:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• we have talked about things since the beginning- based on age and whatnot. I don't think one talk is the way to go, I use music, tv, issues with friends- whatever to talk about things with them.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My daughters are 14 and 18.  The "talk" has been an ongoing, age appropriate conversation since they were toddlers.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My Boys arent old enough yet ( 3 and almost 2 ) But I plan on having the talk with them when they hit 5th grade. I dont plan on going over board with it but I do plan on starting at a early age so that way they are well informed
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Experts recommend the 4th grade. It may sound young to some, but that's so you can talk to them about it before they hear it from their friends. Also, most school curriculums teach sex Ed in the 6th grade. I had the talk with my daughter when she was in 4th grade. It went very well. She asked some really thoughtful questions. And later, when her friends told her some incorrect info, she was able to set them straight. She is a hs freshman now and the talk continues, on a higher level. It's an ongoing conversation at our house.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 1:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011