Do your cats go outside? If so, when did you start letting them. And will they know to come home?

One of my cats wants to go out. He is always crying in the window. My other cat could care less. I am scared to let him out, because I am afraid he will not know to come home. Now that the weather is getting nice, I am thinking about letting him. So what should I know about letting him go outside?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Pets

• I have three that come in and out, I started letting them out before they became adults but were strong enough to fend for themselves.
    Make a schedule for feeding and they will come back every time, if you live close to a busy street, I would not let them out, they will probably end up getting hit, but if you have enough space for them to roam, do it, they will always find their way back.

Answer by older at 11:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We went through the exact same thing. The old one didn't care to go out, the younger was was CONSTANTLY trying to sneak out. When the older one passed away, we made the younger one an outside kitty, and she loves it. She always stays close to home.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• So do they just know where they live? Do they know to come home?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• They know!!!!!

Answer by older at 12:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• They can smell home and will remember where they live. cats aren't like dogs who will get lost..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I always started with letting mine out slowly, letting them get use to it first. go out with him the first few times. let him investigate and wander around. once u think he is ready 2 b out on his own, let him go. he will come back.. also, make sure u leave food and water outside for him.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 12:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Cats typically are very good at finding their way home, at first the cat may not venture far but as he becomes use to being outside he'll go further so if you live in an area with high traffic, wild animals, or any other situation that could be potentially harmful I wouldn't let him out if he's never been outside before. I live mostly on back streets, there's two major roads nearby but my cats have been outdoor cats since they were very small kittens (I owned their mother and grandmother and therefore they've been going outside since the day their mom decided to take them out) and they know to stay away from the major roads. Cats usually return home once they get hungry, or if your cat is as spoiled as mine, he'll return if he gets too cold or like one of my cats he thinks he has to sleep in my bed every night so he's always home by bed time.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 5:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have 2 cats that i let outside. I let them out when they got big enough to not get eaten by owls and such. Cats have a natural instinct to always come back to the place where they are fed, unless something happens to them. My two cats stay close to the house and when they do go somewhere where i cant see them, I call them and they come running. Letting your cat outside can expose them to diseases. I had an older cat, she was about 6, and she always went outside and inside, I had her since she was a kitten and one day I let her out and sadly..she never came back. So, do what you think is best, I think that your cat will come back.
    urbuttacup88

Answer by urbuttacup88 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• i use to let my cats go out til my Mari got poisoned by our neighbor and after 3 month's of suffering died. i don't let my cat go out hope trys though but i refuse i don't want her to get hurt too.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011