How to encourage in-kind help without money incentive?

I'm a part of a wonderful program to help those in need & victims of domestic violence. The issue is, the program is funded by a grant. The problem is that we really need volunteers (ones that see the big picture of their contributions). I have been having trouble with people bailing out at the last minute and not showing up for various reasons. I had asked how can I get people to become more dependable. The answer was to pay them with money. The program's budget is not that large & cannot handle incentive pay.

How can I get people to become show more ambition for their community and become more dependable on a voluntary level?

Thanks in advance

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 12:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'm not really good with that kind of stuff, but I went to an orientation a year ago for a free art program for high risk children (homeless, etc.). They had volunteers that would go out into the community and somehow get donations (be it monetary or supplies). I'm not really sure, but you could ask other volunteer organizations how they raise funds.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 2:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Maybe you can ask local stores to donate items that you could give a way. Have a contest once a month for the best volunteer and give them a prize.
    ventingmom

Answer by ventingmom at 11:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Instead of money, maybe you can offer other kinds of incentives, like prizes or awards for whoever completes the most hours in a day/week/month//whatever.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Have you tried posting on volunteermatch.com

It's a great way to find people who want to help and are will to be there.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I also agree with the one poster who said to go to a store and ask what they could donate for prizes.Or a restaurant.Some smaller ones like Zaxby's funded my aunt's fund raiser for her school with several free dinner certificates and all she had to was ask. volunteermatch also sounds like a great idea. Put an ad on craigslist asking for volunteers or donors that would consider volunteer in trade for a chance at the free giveaways you would collect.or just ask for volunteers in the ad,since it's free to post on there.Good luck!
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 8:36 AM on May. 11, 2011