Hair product question

I have wavy/curly hair and I love how it looks when I straighten it but I don't have time to do that all the time even most of the time. So I put mouse in it and scrunch it and either let it air dry or blow dry it upside down. Usually air dry. I LOVE how it looks but I HATE how it feels. It hold its curl without getting frizzy but, It's stiff. I thought maybe I'm using too much but I don't feel like my hair looks as good when I use less and it's still stiff. So....my question is, is there a hair product out there that will do the same thing without the stiffness? I'd like it to be touchable and movable. I'm using a salon bought mouse that came highly recommended by my stylist (who i'm sure is getting a kickback..but seems genuine).

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 12:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I have super curly hair that's prone to frizz and humidity-kinking-up. I've spent years trying different products. Definitely stay away from products with alcohol, don't be afraid of sulfate-free shampooing, and don't be afraid of a concoction, yours will be different for obvious reasons, but mine consists of: (In a 4 ounce spray bottle) 1/2 tsp Hair-One (from Sally's),1/2 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1/2 tsp Aveda Be Curly (also use emulsified on wet hair) fill the rest with water, shake VIGOROUSLY then spritz hair in layers (keep shaking). My ritual; Use quarter size Be Curly, emulsify, then apply from roots to ends in layers; scrunch, wrap in microfiber or silk. When damp, spray concoction in sections, scrunch and diffuse up-side-down and side-to-side. Finish with Aveda Light Elements (my trick is to switch the cap to one that will spritz so I don't have to touch my hair after it's set) Soft , stacked, shiny, curls.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Definitely sounds like you're using too much. Also try not blow-drying it completely dry. You can also try using a little leave-in conditioner, or de-frizzer, or something like that, mixed in with less of your product to help keep it soft. Do you have a difuser too for your blow-dryer? That might help a little. I remember having the same issues when I had perms, and quite often I got the best results by mixing half of my normal amount of gel with a normal amount of leave-in conditioner - nice soft bouncy not-frizzy curls.
    Anonymous

• I took a class for curly hair and it's treatment with REGIS. So we could better care for our clients. Here's a few things to understand..

Start by using a good shampoo, not drugstore quality. Try Redken Smooth Down, or Real Control, Or Biolage Hydratherape, or Paul Mitchell Super Skinny line. They have the proper PH balance, and will give the hair the moisture it needs.

Avoid MOUSSE!!! Mousse is so drying, it contains alcohol, which is a drying agent. Try a curl cream like Curls Rock from Bed Head, or similar. Also use a serum like Morrocan Oil, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny products are great as well!

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• find a product that says serum, silk drops, or something of the like that will add lots of moisture and scrunch while drying with a diffuser....my youngest son is mixed and his hair is more like curly; super frizzy, white people hair...i condition his hair every day and only wash once a week. after conditioning i apply silk drops and pink lotion (which you probably dont need unless your hair is super dry, its more of a black ppl thing). and scrunch...my sons curls are always soft and springy!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have thick wavy/curly hair and I really like how serum works for me. IMO Paul Mitchell makes the best but see if you can get a sample before you commit to another product. It's a pretty large bottle considering you don't need much per usage. I would maybe then use a teeny, tiny bit of mousse in the spots you want to perfect. Freshening up my hair-cut also helped my curls bounce. Good luck!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I do use the diffuser. I never thought of mixing it with leave in condition. I will def try that today!!! Thanks!
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• What is serum?
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My hair is straight, but I use tresemme mouse to scrunch it occasionally so I can have a different look. I have used several different mouses, and tresmme makes its the LEAST stiff (but not touchable/moveable). Good luck finding a new product! :D
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have found that using leave-in conditioner only, and then scrunching, leads to the same curl effect, but with softness, not crunchiness. It has to be a very light leave-in like Lanza. SO now, when I want to go curly-natural, I just use the conditioner.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Ditto to musicmom80's advice ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2011