Vaccinating

So I took my son to get a shot (vaccine) yesterday. He got Prevnar for the pneumococcal. He did good initially. I gave him Tylenol, warm bath, cold compresses and rubbed the injection site multiple times. However, he spit up in larger quantities and more than usual, slight diarrhea, difficulty sleeping, change in usual behavior, and inconsolable crying for a couple hours. After the first time he was vaccinated I was afraid to get it done again because of his reaction but the nurse said the DTaP in the Pentacel tends to cause that. The shot he recieved yesterday did not contain the DTaP though and he still reacted this way. The first vaccination caused him to sleep more after the fussing eventually stopped and he wouldn't eat either. I'm trying to figure out how to schedule his shots from here on out because his next ones are 4months and I can't put him through this 8 or more times. I had my husband stay with me after the shot this time and he saw it himself for the first time because he had to work last time. It had my husband and I in tears.

Has this happened to any of you're children? If so, what'd you do?

Maybe we need to put his vaccinations off just for a little bit. My son is 3 months now and strictly breastfed. Never attends daycare and never will. My aunts a nurse and doesn't start to vaccinate her children until age 2.

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 12:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• They should have given you paperwork at the appointment that will say what to expect.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• http://www.thinktwice.com/ has a section with parent's testimonies about reactions from vaccines they're children have had.

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I suggest you simply delay further vaccinations until you have done enough research to make an informed choice on what you should do. Dr. Sherry Tenpenny is a wonderful doctor who has done a great amount of research and will even answer questions emailed or FBed to her. Her website is - http://www.drtenpenny.com/

If you would like other resources I have them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Talk to your doctor about his reactions. Mine usually did not react at all, except for an occsional mild fever. There are alternate schedules that your doctor can use, if you think that might be helpful . . . they spread them out a little more.

Make sure you keep an eye of your son's temp, and call the ped to talk about what you are worried about. They are very well versed in what is normal/not normal and what may need some attention.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• All of this is a normal & typical reactions to vaccinations in infants. They're reactions hurt us more then them & the pros outweigh the cons of the diseases they prevent. I do not believe in waiting until 2 since by that time the child will have contact with many people in a public setting & they are in more danger NOT being vaccinated. Ask your Pediatrician for the schedule of vaccinations if you want but it is usually standard. Hang in there, we ALL get through it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If you delay vaccinations for your child, make sure that they do not play with or come in contact with babies who have not had their vaccination yet but their moms plan on having them vaccinated. If your older,unvaccinated child gets a childhood disease and passes it on to a baby,it would be a shame. my 9 month old granddaughter will have more vaccinations at age one and if any older kid gave her measles, for example, before she was old enough to get the MMR, I would be irate and never get over it, never forgive the parent who refused to let their child be vaccinated. Think about it.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You people DO realize that many times, the unvaxed kids are catching the diseases from your vaxed kids, right? Your vaxed kids (depending on which shots they've gotten) can shed the virus in their bodily fluids.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• To answer the question: My oldest child had reactions to her shots---crying, fever, swollen and red arm, no appetite until the next day.I held her and gave her Tylenol. She DID get over it. She is a healthy grown up now. Vaccinations are necessary.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Who ever is voting down here does not have a clue!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• U can split them up ... the vaccine book is a good resource to read imo. My youngest has reactions like yours and it is scary. My oldest never really had reactions like my youngest...his were just all the typical reactions. If people have kids like my oldest then they don't get it. As a mom you don't want to harm the most precious thing in the world to you so when you see them suffering for days bc of a shot then you feel awful. My pedi actually agrees to splitting his up bc after he gets shots I have to call off of work because he is so bad that we cant send him to daycare even.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011