Christians (or former Christians that can give an honest answer)....

Someone brought up infant batism in another thread. Do you believe that any child that is not baptised when they die, will go to Hell?

I know there are a few denominations that believe this. I don't see anything in MY Bible that tells me this is what happens...and I see no proof (within the Bible of course) that this was ever practiced.

If you believe this to be true, can you provide scriptural references please? Thanks!

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 12:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe similarly to the previous poster. It is called the age of accountability. Once you can be held accountable for your faith that is when one needs to decide to acknowledge that Jesus died for their sins and then in an act of obedience get baptized. As far as when that age is, I don't know. I would imagine it is a case by case basis since kids mature at different rates, not to mention those with learning disabilities.
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Most Christians that I know of...including myself, profess 'Believers Baptism'. When you're old enough to know the reason for following Jesus and choose Him as your Lord and Savior, professing your faith; then the next step is baptism. In some denominations this is done after 12 or 13 years old...in our evangelical church, it's done when even a much younger child wants Jesus 'in their heart'. I personally believe that infants and/or very young children are 'dedicated' to the Lord...and because of the parents faith, they'll never, never - I repeat - NEVER go to hell. My belief of why anyone would ever be denied heaven is if given the opportunity to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior and then denying Him...well, you're on your own as it were. Hope this kind of answers your question. Not that I'm right...I just believe. Blessings!
    LovebugMom55

Answer by LovebugMom55 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Also, the infant baptism is not the same thing as the aware baptism in other Christianic faiths. The infant baptism is more of an "entering" into the church and a parental comittment to support the child in the religion. The 1st communion (2nd grade) and confirmation(10th grade) are rites out of awareness, study and commitment. Religions that do adult baptism don't break it up like this, and have one, wonderful, big ceremony all together.

They are both called "baptism" but are very different in meaning.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I don't believe infant baptism does anything more than get your baby wet. Baptism does NOT equal salvation. Baptism is a symbolic act that is meant to publicly signify your spiritual re-birth/change, and submitting to God's will for your life.-asmcbride

you rock eh..what she said. 

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am Catholic and we do infant baptism. I do not beileve that babies go to hell, for any reason. Baptisms usually do not happen until 3 to 9 months. If something happens before then, the babies are blessed by the priest during the funeral ceremony. It is similiar to an adult. Even if you are an adult who has not followed through on baptism, 1st communion, confirmation . . . if you are sick, a priest can meet with you and bless you or perform those rites.

Sometimes people like to talk about other religions thinking babies go to "hell" for whatever reason or not. That is just propaganda and it is not true. Most people are loving . . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Actually, most Christians practice infant baptism (Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Methodists, and Orthodox). We don't necessarily believe that unbaptized children go to hell (although Catholics and Puritans did believed this). Baptism for us is like circumcision for Jews, a sign, but not a guarantee.

I found a bunch of Scriptural references used to support the practice. Some are below and you can find others using Google.

Luke 18:15-16—"People were also bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. But Jesus called the children to him and said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.' "

The apostle Peter also assumed that the children of believers were included in the church. Acts 2:39—"For the promise is to you and to your children....
    Sarahinez

Answer by Sarahinez at 1:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Most christian religions around where I live do believe in infant baptism but not necessarily to stop them from going to hell. In most of the churches it's just welcoming them into the christian religion and starting them off in the right way according to the belief system. Inviting them to learn about Jesus and to love him.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 1:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am a christian, and do not believe that if a child is not baptized, they will go to hell! That is outrageous. Iam sorry that I do not have the scriptures to give you at the moment, but it wouldn't be hard to find them wtih all the search engines to help us out. Your child will make that decision for him/herself when they are old enough. Bring them up in the ways of the Lord and they will not depart from it. Paraphrased...God Bless you.
    franfran811

Answer by franfran811 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I don't believe infant baptism does anything more than get your baby wet. Baptism does NOT equal salvation. Baptism is a symbolic act that is meant to publicly signify your spiritual re-birth/change, and submitting to God's will for your life.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• A couple other verses (a couple of my favorites actually) suggest to me that LOVE is what matters most of all. If I believed in a literal Hell or a personal God, I would believe that this God and Jesus would be loving and forgiving--not condemning innocent children to horrible places. JMHO

"Teacher, what must I do to receive eternal life?" Jesus replied, "What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?" The man answered, " 'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.' And, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' " "Right!" Jesus told him. "Do this and you will live!" (NLT, Luke 10:25-28)

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2011