Licking of bottom lip

My son is constantly licking his bottom lip, well more like below his bottom lip nad has gotten a sore from it. Because he is constantly licking it, the sore gets worse. I tried dabbing a little vicks vapor rub to keep him from licking his lip but it didn't work. Does anyone know what I can do to keep him licking his lip so his sore can heal????

Lokah13

Asked by Lokah13 at 7:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 7 YO daughter did the same thing... it chapped so bad below her lip she had blisters. I put Vaseline on her lips and on the chapped area 3 times a day, then rubbed some Vitamin E oil (you can pick it up at Dollar General for 3 bucks, I use it around my eyes at night to prevent wrinkles) on the chapped area when she went to bed. Cleared it up in 2-3 days. She now rubs Vaseline on her lips herself in the morning after breakfast so she doesn't lick them while waiting for the bus. it'll taste nasty if he licks at it!!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my 4 yr old does it to his top lip. We go through a lot of carmex. The other day when it was really red and chapped he happened to see it in the mirror. He asked me why his mouth was red and I told him when he bites or licks his lips thats what happens. I think he realized what he was doing then. We like carmex and we put it on him constantly. Before bed, after he eats, after he drinks, etc.. Find something that works and just keep applying!
    bbysqd

Answer by bbysqd at 9:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My 2 yo does that. I just put vaseline on his lips and sore during the day and a thick layer of aquaphor at night. It goes away in about 1-2 days.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Aquafor, aquafor, aquafor! I absolutely love this product! Whenever my twins get chapped lips, a sore under their nose from a cold, or a dry patch of skin, I use Aquafor and it takes care of it right away.

Aquafor is also a great way to prevent diaper rash. One of my boys has a sensetive tush and so I put a coat of aquafor on at diaper changes (especially before long car trips) and it helps prevent diaper rash.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2008