We call my 4yr. old son's stepdad "Dad". My son has chosen to call him Dad since he was 2yr. My son has always called his Bio Dad by his 1st name.

My son's Bio Dad's lawyer said we cant call his step dad "Dad" what do you think of that? We are completing some final visitation guidelines with the court system and that is how this topic came up, because me, my son and our families refer to the step dad as "Dad".

franfran811

Asked by franfran811 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Your ex lawyer is a quack for real there is no reason why you son can't call his step dad (dad) what's the problem and it's not against the law either so don't let them scare you and if your son calls his Bio dad by his name oh well again no big deal....some people don't have anything to do but make problems.
    Live your new life and let your son call your new husband whatever he likes, I grew up with a step father and me and all my brothers have always called him dad til this day and we are all grown up now and we also called our real dad dad except for the oldest brother who called him by his name.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think he is full of crap. There are no laws on what a child should call his/her step dad.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Your ex's lawyer is talking out of his ass.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• No one can legally order you to not let the stepdad be called dad. In our family my husband is Dad and my son's bio-father, my ex husband, is Daddy or "Your Father"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• just dont agree to it....i dont think there are too many judges that would make a court ruling stating what a child could or couldnt refer to someone as....its kinda hard to legally make someone call another person a certain name.....especially when that someone is 4...lol
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i would let a judge tell you that. has his biodad not been in his life at all?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My son's biodad started to get involved in my son's life about six months ago because his mother wanted more time to spend with my son. So she pursued a lawyer and takes the lead in all of the proceedings, biodad just signs legal documents and shows up doesn't say anything, doesnt get involved in the visitation except to interact with my son when he is at the grandmas house. How do I get her out of the picture as much as possible???
    franfran811

Comment by franfran811 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yeah, thats crap. My step dad was my sister's father, who are older than me, so I knew him my whole life, so I called him daddy JJ and my dad was daddy Mike. :) But to their faces I of course just called them both daddy hah.
    Racheliny

Answer by Racheliny at 1:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• That would never hold up in front of a judge so don't agree to it.
    And it's great that Bio dad's mom wants to develop a relationship with your son. Grandparents often aren't thought of when people with kids split, so unless she's vile and toxic I say cut her some slack. I big blended family can be a hassle but it's just more people to love your kid
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Isn't enforceable at all.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2011