How do i get wax out of my carpet?

I had a candle leak onto my carpet. i was told to lay a rag on top of it and iron on top of it and it only smeared it and made it worse. If you have any advice that would be great!!

Mrsroeder22

Asked by Mrsroeder22 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I always got a rag and ironed it then pressed it over the wax.. don't rub. just press the HOT rag over it.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Goo Gone! I would go look at your hardware store and get this stuff. It takes anything out of anything and smells like really strong lemons (so it's not too bad. lol)
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 1:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• what zoejains said, put a thin rag over the wax, heat a hot iron over it and press the wax out of the carpet. i had a red candle once spill over onto beige carpet once and i thought it was ruined but the hot iron worked like a charm.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 1:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Ice. Freeze it then scrap it off. You have to do this BEFORE you use an iron. When you do use an iron, use a thick terry towel or one of those micro fiber ones to get the last bit's of it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• this happened to me on light gray almost white carpet... i waited till the wax hardened then i put down wax paper then used a iron on lowest heat and it brought it up... it left a little green so i shampooed the spot with bleach and now u cant tell
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'd also use the iron, but a newpaper instead of cloth.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Honestly, just picking it out with fingernails seems to be the best way.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2011