"3 Bite Rule" mommies...did I handle this situation correctly?

I fixed my 33 month old peanut butter toast and sliced bananas for lunch. She said she didn't want it-she wanted peanut butter on graham crackers. I told her that she had to eat half of the toast and a couple of slices of bananas, THEN she could have the crackers. She did it, and I gave her crackers. Is this what I'm supposed to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our rule is: after three bites, if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast, with a kiwi.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If my kids want something else they have to eat all of what I gave them first. If this is what you want to teach your child then go ahead, it wont hurt but it is wasted food
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Sabrena. Now, if my kids TRULY didn't like what they were served, then I would do what you did, but most kids love pb and bananas. If I fix something that I know my kids like, they just didn't want THAT right then, then I make 'em eat it all.

BTW, things I find that my kids truly don't care for, I don't make them eat it again...unless I change how it got made, then I ask that they try it again because I changed it up.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• There is a difference between them not eating it because they don't like it and them not eating it because they don't want it. I do not make something else when it is something they like, but want something else more. Now if they don't like it, they have to eat a bit of it, then I will make something else.
    I made this mistake with my one son a few years ago. I wound up making him something different almost every day for a week. Then I said enough, I'm not restuarant, you make what is being served or you don't eat. That stopped real fast.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Anon, I refer to my daughter in months because I am an educator, and it's my habit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• hopeandglory53, she has been going thru this "pb and graham cracker phase". I'm not sure why...lol! Maybe I should have only offered half of the food I did, so she didn't have to eat so much before getting the crackers?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If you know she is in a peanut butter and cracker phase, then I would have given her peanut butter and crackers. Not a big deal. I feed my child what I know he likes and will eat, I do NOT like wasting food. I would rather make what I KNOW he will eat and not have food wasted. Also, if I know my child doesn't like something, I do NOT make him eat it. I don't eat what I don't like, so I won't force ANY child to eat something they don't like.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The "3 bite rule" is for new foods, or things they claim they don't like - not for taking bites before replacing food. I also would have made her eat all of it before getting crackers, or if she didn't finish it, not giving her the crackers. You're on the right track, but didn't quite hit the nail on the head this time.
    Anonymous

• I usually give her the option of choosing from two different lunch ideas I come up with, but today I was tired and just made the toast. My rationale is that when she is at other people's homes for meals, they are not going to always offer her a variety of choices. What will she do then? You know what I mean?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i guess if thats what works for you. I try to make sure my kids want what i am fixing before hand because i dont like wasting food. But i let them all agree on what they want together because Im not about to fix different things though.

BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2011