Are you best friends with your mom?

or can you not stand her? I was best friends with my Mom growing up and could talk to her about anything. I miss that now that she is no longer with us. She passed away in 2004 and I would give anything to have more days to spend with her

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Absolutely! I love my mom, love hanging out with her, and miss her like CRAZY now that I'm nearly a thousand miles away from her :( I really wish we lived closer. It KILLS me she's not been able to be around to watch her grandkids grow up.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I got along with my mother back when I was younger but once I hit high school we clashed way to much to the point when I was dating my first boyfriend I was never home I was living pretty much there although my boyfriends family where close to mine so they knew I was taken care of... but after the 4 years in high school my mom and I are closer than ever... not because of her grandbabies but because we BOTH had grown up but we are friends just not best best friends but she is there for me when I need her
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes! My mom and I talk about everything together. We like the same things. We live 900 miles apart though so I don't see her much. I try to talk to her at least once a week.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We don't have the best relationship but we don't have the worst. We used to not be able to stand eachother but since having my DD, it has brought us back together. She has a stroke last year so I come help her everyday. She is my mom, I love her dearly but she has done too much to me in the past to make her my "best" friend. That actually hurts to say=/
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My mother and I are extremely close. Even though we live a couple of thousand miles apart we are always in contact, sharing our lives..etc.

With that said..My mother is not my best friend..Nor will she ever be.. She is my mother.. That is the relationship we will always have.. We are friendly, we are close, we share, we console..etc..etc. However, she will always be my mother and never be my friend.. Our relationship can never be one of "friend" much less "best friends" because our relationship is that of parent and child. Regardless of age, she will always be my parent and I will always be her child.

Another example of that deep seated filial piety that many of us from "Eastern" cultural backgrounds/religions have in us.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Sorry for your loss. my mom and I are VERY close! although she does live about 4 hrs away now! We talk almost every day and she is comming this weekend and taking my 2 olldest kids back with her for their spring break! We send quite a bit of time with her in the summer and are lucky to see her at least once a month
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I kinda do because I am my moms favorite and we are always doin stuff toegether..
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I believe I became best friends with my Mom later in life....like in my 30's. She was always easy to talk to about alot of things although some subjects would be embarrassing to her; especiallhy when I would have the sex talk with my kids.There is nothing wrong with best friends with your Mom but she still is your Mom and has some say so in your life if you're at a young age.
    impsug1

Answer by impsug1 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• She was not my best friend, but I loved her more than I can describe. My heart aches everyday in missing her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My mom is a very dear friend to me. I see her everyday, and she does a lot for us. I love her and appreciate her.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2011