Question about behavior issues

My son is about turn 6 on the 12th of this month...He is very active and gets overly excited about things that seem to be nothing to me but to my question...He hits and screams alot...I have tried everything i can think of to punish him for the things he is doing but nothing seems to get through...any suggestions?

0MyNameIsMom0

Asked by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stop punishing him and find out WHY he is acting out. Take him to a counselor if that is what is needed to find out what is going on. Talk with him about why it's inappropriate to hit others and scream. When he is throwing a fit, IGNORE him. Walk away, watch to see that he is safe and let him throw the fit. Find out if something is going on at school to cause a change in behavior.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• we have corner time for my 5 year-old still. taking away favorite toys for a day. she has to earn her toys back if it gets bad enough.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have tried talking to him about why he shouldnt hit as far as therapy goes we are activly looking for a good therapist in our area to take him to...
    I've tried putting him in a corner and taking away tv or games or toys and things like that but like i said it just seems like nothing is working...thank yall for your advice...
    0MyNameIsMom0

Comment by 0MyNameIsMom0 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Take him to a child psychologist and request an evaluation so that you can get strategies that will work more effectively for his personality and your parenting style.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Ask his Dr. If he is haveing prob in school it could be a mood disorder. Don't ever think that he may out grow it. It never hurts to ask. If its a stage then a theripist will know.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Could be "Oppositional Defiant Disorder"...
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Thats whats so strange he never gets in trouble at school...what is oppositional defiant disorder?
    0MyNameIsMom0

Comment by 0MyNameIsMom0 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• 0 if i could go back when kids were 6..i would tell you he seems frustrated. what is your situation? are you working out of home and his day is long...daycare,school etc. are you a stay @ home mom with all demands of running a household etc. maybe you need time to enjoy each other's company. fly a kite make dough people,go to a zoo. take time but i don't know your circumstance.
    mdevece

Answer by mdevece at 9:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011