Kids moving forward...

How did you pay for your childs college eduacation? My daughter will be going to college in 2 years and I don't know how to pay. We were not able to save for her as life threw a lot of unexpected events our way. She is very smart and has all A's, so a scholarship is something I can hope for. Is there something useful I should know that will help? Are there any regrets you made? What would you have done differently? I want to avoid student loans if possible. Any info will help. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Applying for grants can be a good option or even student loans.

Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think you will have to get grants or loans but make sure to TELL HER!!!!

My nephew got accepted to college and ONLY then did his parents tell him they had not saved for it.... he never went. What a horrible shame. If he had known he could have started researching options but he was so heart broken that he just gave up. I was so mad at them.... had they only given him the information things might have turned out differently.

Anonymous

• My daughter is fully aware of our financial situation and we will do our best to get her through college.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• What did your nephew end up doing?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• working.

If she knows then that is GREAT.... might even be a bonding moment to figure out how to work out the financing.  Start early!

Anonymous

• Start researching scholarships, grants and student loans NOW - don't wait until senior year. It goes by so quickly.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 3:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Scholarships, there will be lots of available scholarships. Schools have a list but there are so many more if you just spend time looking for them. This could potentially save thousands.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• A financial show I listen too suggests that everyone should go to a state college which, in general, are cheaper than other schools. They also say that the student should do it mostly with loans and that parents should be saving for their retirement first. We did not follow this advice but were making better money then than we are now and paid for college for our kids. If I had to do it over I would definitely look into the state schools first. Some are more reasonable than others. But if she has good grades she might get a scholarship. One tip I heard about for schools hard to get into was to declare a major in the department where the school gets very few applicants and then switch majors once they are in. Friends of ours did that with one of their girls. There is a big book of scholarships too. You can get it at a book store. Search it for possibilities. Best wishes!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• There are three major ways to get money for college. Scholarships, grants and loans. She may be eligible for all of them. There are websites that will match her to potential scholarships. Just google it.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 8:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Wow, I will never understand this question...why do parents think they "OWE" their kids a college education? Scholarships and grants are easily enough to obtain. So are student loans. If a child wants to go to college, there is NOTHING stopping them. It's not up to you to foot the whole bill either. As they're already over 18, they're adults and should be treated as adults. College is the first step. Allow them to make their decisions, walk them through the process and allow them to make their mistakes. You've poured thousands of hours in nurturing them, caring for them and giving them support. It's up to them to HONOR that by becoming well adjusted individuals. Good luck! :)
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 1:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2011