More joys of Islam? This is heartbreaking.

We’re all focused right now on Libya and budget battles at home, but this story from Bangladesh just broke my heart and outraged me — and offers a reminder of the daily human rights struggles of so many women and girls in villages around the world. A 14-year-old Bangladeshi girl, Hena,allegedly was ambushed when she went to an outdoor toilet, gagged, beaten and raped by an older man in her village (who was actually her cousin). They were caught by wife of the alleged rapist, and the wife then beat Hena up. An imam at a local mosque issued a fatwa saying that Hena was guilty of adultery and must be punished, and a village makeshift court sentenced Hena to 100 lashes in a public whipping.

Her last words were protestations of innocence. An excellent CNN blog post, based on interviews with family members, says that the parents “had no choice but to mind the imam’s order. They watched as the whip broke the skin of their youngest child and she fell unconscious to the ground.”

Hena collapsed after 70 lashes and was taken to the hospital. She died a week later, by some accounts because of internal bleeding and a general loss of blood. The doctors recorded her death as a suicide. (Women and girls who are raped are typically expected to commit suicide, to spare everyone the embarrassment of an honor crime.) I’ve covered enough of these kinds of stories to know that it’s difficult to know exactly what happened unless you’re on the scene talking to everyone who was there; maybe the imam has a different version of events. But all accounts that I’ve seen such that this was a brutal attack on a helpless girl in the name of sharia and justice.

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/when-a-girl-is-executed-for-being-raped/

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 2:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Very sad and disgusting.

Answer by gemgem at 2:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Heartbreaking....

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Ugh. I don't really have words for this type of horror.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Nothing short of barbarism. They are behaving like animals. There is nothing civilized or just about this.

This is why it continues to stun me when liberals claim to be open minded and understanding towards the peaceful side of Islam. Disgusting, disgusting, disgusting.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We surely need Sharia in this country.

Let them leave Sharia there WHEN they move HERE!

How about it?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Where is N.O.W. when stories like this surface? Why aren't they taking up the fight of women. I know it is the 'National' Organization of Women, but they could issue a statement denouncing this. We get crickets from them just like when any conservative woman is blasted. This is horrible and will continue until the Muslims, themselves, stand up and say ENOUGH.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I don't know what disgusts me the most, this type of thing happening or Americans that will say it is okay because that is their faith or the law of their land. Do you ladies remember a question I posted about a Somalian woman that was stoned to death? One AMERICAN mom went so far as to say she would accept such punishment even if it was her daughter. I think it is sick, just sick.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• throwing up

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Judgement Day is coming for all of us, God bless that child!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2011