Sibling Rivalry

Ok we have a 3 year old and a 4 1/2 month old, both boys. Our 3 year old has started to miss behave constantly we have tried every punishment we can think of, taking his toys, spankings, time out, putting him in the corner, talking to him, I mean everything and nothing seems to be working. Everyone keeps telling us that we need to show him more attention, but we are showing him as much attention as we do with our little one, we have made a point to do this because we were trying to make sure this didn't happen, well obviously that didn't work out so well because here I am asking you guys what else to do. We do crafts with him, bake cakes, and cookies, take him to the park when it isn't to cold, I mean we really are trying but he has gotten so destructive and just straight up doesn't listen anymore(and no he wasn't like this before). I just don't know what else to do any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Stressed out Mommy

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 2:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• What worked with our oldest was to go to lunch, the park, out for ice cream, etc and tell him that "big boys" got to do this. Babies couldn't do it. We did it weekly for awhile and it worked wonders. Our pediatrician suggested it. You might also make him your big helper for all sorts of little things having to do with the baby or just stuff around the house. Make sure you praise him a lot too. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• maybe have a day out with just mommy or just daddy sometimes when there is a new baby the older ones feel like they are not getting everything especially when they have had your undivided attention--my boys are 9 and 4 and when my 4 year old was born the older one was this way so we started having times when it was just one on one and he seems to be better
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We do make him our big boy helper, he is a great big brother, he helps out with his little brother all the time and likes doing it.
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011