Is this colic or 6month old behavoir

my husband and i love to take a relaxing half hr shower when our 3 year old son goes to bed which is 7:30. I make sure i feed my 6month old his solids at 7pm so that way he is not screaming while we are trying to relax.
But for the last week now he is being really fussy, he eats at 7pm and screams half way and ends up choking because he is screaming so hard. He ends up finishing his food, and screams the entire time while my husband and i try to relax. SO we get out, i go make his bottle, feed him that, get him ready for bed and he is suddenly happy.
we thought maybe it was the bouncer chair because he hates it, so we put him in his exosaucer thinking that solves it, but it doesn't.
He starts his meltdown at like 6:30pm and keeps it up until after his bottle is fed and he is ready for bed.
I know he is teething, and we give him Tylenol, Orjel, pacifier, teething ring, cold wash cloth but nothing is making it better for him.
It seems to be even worse if he doesn't get his even nap which usually is around like 5pm to 6pm, if he gets his nap in he doesn't start his meltdown till about 7pm, if no nap at his evening nap then his meltdown starts at like 6:30pm
any suggestions what this is, or why he is doing it, his diet has not changed, and he has been on the same formula since birth.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he hasnt been like this since day one or somewhere around it then I dont think its colic, but dont hold me to it, maybe he just wants the attention...
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think that's fairly normal. All 5 of mine have had a brief "fussy" period when they are getting sleepy. Have you tried taking your shower after he goes to bed instead of before? I don't even start to relax and unwind until all of mine are in bed!

Answer by missanc at 3:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• No not colic.. My little brother had colic and he screamed for hours and nothing made him happy. My mom went crazy. It sounds like you are able to get baby happy again. Hes just getting to the age where he knows that you left the room so he cries until you come back.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• To Kimberly71682_ he is in the bathroom with us, we thought running water would calm him down
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The solids may be the new thing that is irritating him. You mentioned that he starts screaming during feeding... maybe there's something there??
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• maybe he is teething
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I don't think colic randomly develops, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. My 6 month old is starting to teeth, and gets very fussy sometimes. I think we'll just have to tough it out...
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• colic would have started earlier and you'd have known it was colic, so if this is newer (in the last week or so, not months earlier), then I'd say it's a result of teething. Some babies are just miserable with teething. IMO the best thing to do, is to push back your relax time by a half hour or so, until he's also down for the night. And try your best to comfort him.

Also what is he eatting for solids? At six months they really should only be on cereal, maybe fruit stage ones.. But be mindful that solids can sometimes cause constipation as well, so that could be an issue as well. banana's, rice, applesauce and toast are four of the biggest constipators in babies, so maybe try to stay away from those solids as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He is on all types but the meat, and eats his cereal with it
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• So give him the bottle right away and put him to bed - sounds like that's what he wants, if that's what makes him happy! Babies are supposed to have the bottle before solids anyway, no matter the age. He's probably still hungry.
    Anonymous