Possilbe "Learning" (or other) Disorder?

Hello everyone I wasn't sure how to address this issue really. We are having difficuties with your 5 year old son. He is excelllent Behavior to our knowledge at school (He is in Full Day Kindergarten) just very jittery and hard for him to focus according to his teacher. He is at a Pre-K level at learning and so far has not been able to pass on subject in school with anything above a 63. At home we deal with tantrums all the time, the only time we can get him to focus on a task is if has to do with Helicopter or it is hands on. Examples of ways he will sit still Building Lego's (only thing he builds is HELICOPTERS), Building with Kenex (Building HELICOPTERS), Playing his Gamecube HELICOPTER game (another game will NOT keep his attention for more then 3 minutes), Playing his RC Helicopter Simulator on the PC or watching RC Helicopters Fly on YouTube. Sorry to go on and on I just wanted to make a point. His journals home from school all have pictures of Helicopters in them even if the subject that is wrote about is something totally Different. As far as socializing he is able to do so only with select people and it take a long time for him to get comfortable with them people. Basically the School told us they won't Fail him regardless of his grades so he will be passed on to first grade and there he is going to struggle even more. The school won't test him for any learning disability because they say he is to young and our Dr won't listen (we are going to be change Dr's for MANY reasons...mostly unrelated to this issue). So I am throwing the question out there do you see anything weird about this situation or his behaviors or am I just an over concerned mom?

-Another thing to mention would be that he didn't talk with the ability to under stand him very well at all to around age 4.

CHLOABUG126

Asked by CHLOABUG126 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am that way and have been since I was five but I found out I have asperger syndrome

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He sounds alot like my little girl. Shes ten now but when she was in first grade they ran all kinds of tests. She is adhd and he shows alot of the same signs that she did. She still has learning problems as well as tantrums. Its a struggle everyday. but I have her on no meds and in home counsiling. Good luck
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• First of all, I would definitely talk to the school about his teacher. Sometimes, no matter what they say about your child, I would always check out the teacher. I say that because my granddaughter's K-teacher told us all last year that she needed to be tested, etc. After having her in Play Therapy for about six months, the teacher said there was nothing wrong with her. Come to find out, the teacher had singled her out and placed her by herself at a table for basically the whole year. For first grade, we requested a seasoned teacher who knew how to deal with all types of children. There is nothing wrong with her now, she is getting basically straight A's and loves school! I would definitely start there. Second, be aware that is his social skills did not develop until about four, then maybe he is just delayed and won't be quite ready for school for another year or so. There might not be anything wrong with him....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• What is asperger syndrome? Makes me wonder if teachers and docters ever checked into that.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• sounds like aspergers to me too.....my daughter has aspergers syndrome and was dx in Kindergarden....most teachers dont have a clue how to handle or teach these children...get an assessment from a childrens neurologist and start the therapys if neccesarry.....good luck.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i also agree with the potential for autism spectrum. I know it's a scary thought but all children should be tests to make sure. Because it is a spectrum there are going to be all kinds of levels of functionality. There are plenty of highly functional happy adults with autism so don't get discouraged. We're not doctors either so there may be nothing or something else wrong but I would at least look into this.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i agree with the other answers... sounds like a classic case - if your doc doesnt hear it too - he shouldnt be a doctor.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• oh yeah... AND he could be too young. i was put in K when i was 4 - back in 1984 if you could pass the screening they didnt care much if you were socially ready. both things (the spectrum indicators) and being "not ready for K" could be happening at the same time.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Thank you everyone...we have been wondering about Aspergers syndrome for a while ourselves now...I meet with a New Dr for our children on Monday and I will make sure that I bring up this idea while I am there. Thank you all for your advice...I suddenly don't feel so crazy!!! All day today he did nothing but play his simulator and if we tried to move him from it we had a MEGA melt down...I just feel so helpless and don't know how to deal with his behaviors hopeful a New Dr will be able to give us a new perspective!!!
    CHLOABUG126

Comment by CHLOABUG126 (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Also sounds alot like ADHD.....good luck!!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011