How can I get him to stop grinding his teeth?

My nearly 7 month old son has 6 teeth. 4 up top and 2 on the bottom.

Last night he was grinding them together. This has just started since he got those last 2 top ones in.

Any ideas to stop this before it is a habit?

bam920

Asked by bam920 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is a phase mom! He is trying to figure out those new teeth! You didn't say if he is doing this in bed or when he is playing....if it's in the day time, I would give him something to chew on to help him figure them out...night time, don't have an anwer for you.....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my daughter does this but she is 7. I got her a night guard....but He is to young for that...i say call his dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son also has a night guard, he is 8 though. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. He really is just exploring his new teeth. If he continues there is nothing that your dentist will do until his permanent teeth, especially his molars come in. Kids will normally outgrow this by the age of 8 or so. If not, they will get a night guard. My son has had his for the past 3 months. It does not help him stop but I have noticed that he does not grind as much. Good luck
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 11:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2008