Guest Rooms?

Do you have a guest room? How is it decorated? What kind of bed(s) does it have? Do you have any advice about making a guest room? Thank you!

elliecooper

Asked by elliecooper at 3:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We did tell my DD and her 2 kids moved in with us.

Answer by louise2 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• In our first house we had a guest room that was decorated in a very modest manor, in this house we had a guest house/ pool house built in the back yard.

I always make sure to have towels ONLY for the guest room/house, I make sure to have HIGH count sheets, and down blankets, although the decor is still modest... lovely but modest (not themed)  I always make sure to have ALL the basics - extra toothbrushes, deodorant, shaving cream, razors, floss, etc.  I make sure to have liquid body soap so guests dont share a bar.  I make sure to have a hair dryer on hand.  Because they have their own house I make sure to have the coffee they like, the sugars and creamers they like, the liquor they like, water, and snacks.

When you visit us it is like being at a B&B

Anonymous

• I don't have a guest room, but I have been thinking about it since we will be moving into a bigger house. I was thinking about a day bed with one of those pull out mattresses under it, so if I have more than one person over, they both have a comfortable place to sleep. Most people use quilts instead of comforters for their guest rooms. I think I would have a dresser with a vanity mirror, so my guest could get ready with their things in the privacy of that bedroom instead of lugging everything to the bathroom. Make sure the closet is packed full of storage so they can access it if they need to. Put curtains up, just having shades would look really tacky unless they were the cool wooden slated ones. Have a bedside table with a lamp and an alarm clock too.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 3:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We have a guest room. It's decorated in a hunting style theme. It has a queen bed in it. Not sure what advice your really looking for. Just decorate it in the style you like.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• btw... they say you should spend the night in your guest room to make sure that it is up to par. We did that and found we needed a reading light.

I think it is ALWAYS nice to have a basket of basic toiletries so if your guest forgets something they dont have to come ask for it.

Anonymous

• isn't** packed full of storage. lol
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 3:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Anon pretty much covered it. Think of what makes you comfortable when you visit someone else's home and work from there. Towels, extra blankets, snacks, a coffee maker/tea fixings, some books or magazines, etc. Keep it simple and comfortable and it should turn out great.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Our guest room is also the office, it is small and a tad crowded, but I try to keep it nice. There is a queen bed in there and I need to paint, t he color scheme will be tan/green/white.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2011

• ANON at 2:30 .... I am so going to find out who she is and go and visit!! lol she has it down right to make guests feel warm and cozy

my sister has 2 spare rooms loaded with junk and sometimes I find myself dazing into one of those rooms and thinking how cute it could look with just a bed and the right bedding. No themes really just tasteful where everything matches or certain colors that bring out things like pin stripes or flowers... they go to Jamaica every year and they could decorate a room with pictures from their vacation with bold black frames ... all I know is if I had extra rooms I would just love to make them guest friendly to the point where they would want to come back
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2011