Meek and submissive.

This is my question >Do you think that woman tend to be more obstinate now compared to when women were more meek and submissive. Do you think they are bad qualities to have? this is how i feel> this is not a christian question but in the bible these things are taught upon and woman are praised to be kind hearted, gentle, to not give in to anger and to respect and submitto your husband. i am a xtian and i find beauty in it.a calm gentle wise soul compared to an over opinionatedrude stubborn person who tries to over power a man. i find beauty in a man is the man a woman is a woman they are perfectly fit as a team but the man is the head of the house. I just want to say as the head he loves and protects its not something to abuse and over power a woman. 

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 3:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Showing patience and humility; gentle or another patient, long-suffering, or submissive in disposition or nature; humble"

I see where you are coming from, especially with the above definition.  This is who I want to be for my husband and children.  I want to be a caregiver, I want to help make my home a peaceful, loving, nurturing place for my family.  I don't want my husband to feel like he has to do chores the minute he walks in the door from a long day at work.  I've never been one of those wives that demand their husbands do half the house work and completely financially support the family.  I want a manly man and I enjoy being a feminine woman.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Women haven't changed, their methods have. 100 years ago, to get what she wanted, a woman had to convince her husband or father it was his idea. They were no more meek and submissive than they are now, they were just sneakier.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am in no way meek or submissive and my husband likes it that way. He's told me that he couldn't be with a woman who was.
    We are partners in life. Neither of us is in charge or the head of the household. I think that's the way it should be.
    Then, I don't base my life off of a book that was written by men to keep women below them so....
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 4:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You're asking if "meek" and "submissive" are good qualities? In my opinion, no. Meek and submissive are what women become when they continue to live in a physically or emotionally abusive relationship.

I am neither meek nor submissive. My husband and I have a wonderful relationship - we consider ourselves to be equals, and I know for a fact that he would find it disgusting if I ever started acting "meek and submissive" around him.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 4:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think there is a very different balance of power in a household than in the past for many different reasons, among those being that in most cases it is a dual income household. It is more about a partnership now than a power struggle.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am a very strong opinionated woman. That is how god made me. We are all unique and made how we are for a reason. All of these characteristics that you describe are characteristics that all people should possess when appropriate. We all need to have gentleness in us and know when to submit and to give of oneself to their partner. I believe that the right person will complement us and make us the best version of ourselves and able to live to our full potential. Some men are very happy to live with a take charge woman and in that pairing they make a great team and vice versa.

I'm glad that your way of life works for you but it doesn't make you a better woman than someone who is naturally a different way.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm right there with Octobersmom.  I want, and want to BE, an equal.  That's why your spouse is called your "PARTNER in Life".  I get that not everyone agrees with this.

BryzniFaye

Answer by BryzniFaye at 4:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think this is a pretty touchy subject to most today and I'm not sure if they're going to truly understand what you're meaning. But to me being meek and submissive means to compromise by sometimes putting your desires aside to do what is best for the whole family. It is a very beautiful thing when both parents do their part in what is right for eachother and their children.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think our world today has an entirely different definition of meek and submissive. It carries with it the idea of weakness, silent, simple, dumb, a door mat. Yet, more men in the BIble are described as meek!! Moses, Jesus Christ, etc. I don't fully understand meekness, though since being married I think I am beginning to understand it. My husband has shown such meekness in difficult situation that he finds himself in. It has been a REAL example to me!

And submissive - well, Jesus Christ is submissive to God the Father and there is NO weakness, silence, simpleton in Him!! I have a TON of other thoughts on this subject, but I also have four little children that are getting very hungry, so I will just leave it at that!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I couldn't imagine not be the HOH. I make all the choices. DH was a SAHD for 2 years while I worked 2 jobs and attending school full time. I would not be able to function as a woman who was not the ultimate decision maker.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2011