If you can't read, it's going to be hard to realize dreams. -Booker T. Washington

Do you think functional literacy is still a problem in the country? We teach to tests now, and lets face it, multiple choice exams don't address comprehension so much as the ability to memorize facts for a short period of time. In our effort to cram individual facts into people, are we losing the ability to critically read and analyze things for the big picture?

Does the soundbyte news culture enable this trend? It seems many people only know as much about what's going on in the world as what they read on the news scroll at the bottom of the screen and what they see on Twitter. We're exchanging more information these days due to technology, but how much of it is being ignored?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• First I want to say, applause....applause......LOUD applause. Many generations of Americans lived with 'functional' literacy. My great grandfather had a 4th grade education, became a Justice of the Peace, and a NC State Legislature, BUT times were very different back then. Now, a high school ed. is almost too little. I'm a teacher. I'm all for accountability. But the tests don't measure that. I can teach my heart out, but if parents don't follow up at home with studying, homework, diligence....schools are hard pressed to make headway. Plus, we need to take a step back to go forward. There are so many programs being thrown at us to use. Just about the time we learn all the pieces, that program is out, now, try this new one. I can teach you to read and do math with a stick and sand if you will just leave me alone and let me teach.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Do you think functional literacy is still a problem in the country?

~ Yes.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• There is a whole town in the upper michigan area that is reportedly almost totally illiterate. The adults CAN NOT read or write!! How does this happen in America today? If you GOOGLE Illiterate people in America you will see there are people all over who CANT read! It ought to be a crime!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• are we losing the ability to critically read and analyze things for the big picture?

Yes. People are so quick to take snippets that serve their agenda as the "words of absolute truth" and refuse to analyze and even attempt to comprehend the big picture. Whether by further reading Or more in depth research.
    It's ok to Discuss articles/links. The serious disconnect is in those who take one article/link as the absolute truth. Jmo.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Suppose to be, *yes, some people are
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm with jesse.applause applause! All of the test teaching and test taking distracts from the real purpose...actually learning the material. IMO the critical part of most peoples education is the elementary years. Teaching elem school isn't rocket science.

I think all people want to see are the talking points..the summary..the Cliff Notes...why waste time on the rest of it type mentality. Just look at the idiots we have holding a national office...they weren't elected because they were smart or had something to offer. They were elected because they had the best slogan.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm a teacher. I'm all for accountability. But the tests don't measure that. I can teach my heart out, but if parents don't follow up at home with studying, homework, diligence....schools are hard pressed to make headway. Plus, we need to take a step back to go forward. There are so many programs being thrown at us to use. Just about the time we learn all the pieces, that program is out, now, try this new one. I can teach you to read and do math with a stick and sand if you will just leave me alone and let me teach.

***

^^^ THIS!!!

clapping

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Just look at the idiots we have holding a national office...they weren't elected because they were smart or had something to offer. They were elected because they had the best slogan.

***

Which was written by someone who IS/WAS smart and clever, but undortunately those people don't get the credit!! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I work in adult literacy.
    Yes, it's still a problem. The NPO I work for is overloaded.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• BRAVO jesse, I agree 100% with you! Such a tragedy when illiteracy is a problem, but as you said technology has made it so easy to read the headlines but unfortunately some in this generation seem to think that's all there is to the story without reading the whole article.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011