14 month old has temper from hell....

My son is now 14 months old, and has developed a horrible temper. It seems like everytime I take something, don't let him do exactly whatever he wants it is an automatic screamfest. It has gotten very bad lately. He is also hitting now. It got to the point yesterday when I tried to give him his milk, and he tipped it upside down to pour it out, I said "no" and turned it right-side-up and he threw it and started screaming and I said "no" rather loudly. It sometimes gets so frustrating I burst into tears, also I have some nosy neighbors who I am so scared are thinking I'm doing something wrong, I don't know what to do...does anyone have any advice on how to help his tantrums or get him to calm down? I feel so guilty because I get frustrated as well, I usually remain calm, but I just cried the other day because it seems like he gets mad at everything lately.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 12 month old has a temper too. He hits AND bites. My 5yo never did any of that so I'm at a loss myself. I wouldn't worry about he neighbors. People know that babies cry. I used to worry about he same thing, but no one ever came knocking to see if I was beating him lol and of course I wasn't. Distraction works better than punishment at this age although you still have to let them know they did wrong. I'm figuring this all out too so good luck to both of us!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 4:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would spank his leg, and I would do it before I had a chance to get upset. He already has learned he can control and manipulate you, and it won't just automatically get better on its own. In fact, unless you discipline him now, he is only going to get worse. If he's going to scream anyway, I would just sting his little leg so he actually had something to scream about, other than showing his mom that he doesn't approve of her. The two most important things you will ever teach your child are obedience and respect, and you absolutely cannot start the process too soon. Right now, he is in charge and he knows that he is in charge. You really need to change that and very soon.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree with nannyb but I know that not everyone is comfortable with spanking so I would suggest making him sit in a chair in the corner facing the wall. for say 2 mins. but if your not going discipline consistently don't bother. It only works if you do it consistently and you need to give it a week or 2 to really see a difference. At first they will just scream harder because they are still trained that that behavior works. It will take them time to realize they no longer have control.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• first off you have to control your temper with children because they know when it is getting to you and how to push just the right buttons. also try doing time out or a quick swat on the bottom
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2011