How much milk for 14 month old?

I know the recommended amount is 16 oz, but lately my 14 month old doesn't seem to want milk and gets maybe 10-12 oz if i'm lucky. He does have cereal w/ milk and yogurt and cheese, yet my pediatrician claims 16 oz always..

JennaJ721

Asked by JennaJ721 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my ds went through the same thing. the dr said he will go through stages where he wont want milk that if u force him to much it will make it worse sometimes to try and double up on yogurt and other things... so we bought toddler yogurt and he went crazy for it
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Kids go threw stages were they want a certain food product and then go on to some thing else. I gave my kids vitamins to supplement there diet. Some days we want cheese and other days we want milk.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Milk isn't really necessary.

There are healthy fats in many foods, like avocado, coconut oil, seeds, nuts, nutbutters, etc.

There is calcium in many foods, like seeds, nuts, broccoli, etc. You can find a great listing here:  http://www.soystache.com/calcium

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He sounds just fine. It's weird that your ped is stuck on the 16oz thing. They recommend 16oz of milk because it has 500mg of calcium which is how much kids need per day ON AVERAGE. They also need the protein and fats and stuff but there are so many ways to get this into a child's diet. Yogurts and cheese is great (and tends to be more packed with good stuff so a serving size is less than a serving of milk). Plus there are healthy fats and protein in so many other foods. And don't forget all the fortified cereals and breads - these contribute some of the nutrients that is found in milk.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He has a very well balanced diet, he loves food, just getting difficult with the milk, but cheese is his favorite food. Yeah, my pediatrician is very traditional, a 70 year old man "he HAS to drink this amount, he HAS to weight this on this day"...thinking of finding a new one...thank you everyone for your responses.
    JennaJ721

Comment by JennaJ721 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If he's getting 3 servings of cheese, he doesn't need the milk. He needs 3 servings of dairy, period - not milk plus other dairy stuff besides. So don't worry about the milk if he's getting enough other dairy.
    Anonymous

• when my daughter went through that we would put a little choc in her milk just enough to flavor it so she would drink it
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• you can try putting a little chocolate in the milk
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2011