my son is 14mths old and he does not sleep thro the night.he waks up at least every hour or every other hour.for a bottle and a blanket fix.can someone help me to get him to sleep all night? PLEASE.....

iv try'd letting him scream and cry,but after an hour or so he starts to bang on the bars and throw his blankets, i try'd to just give him a water bottle ,and that didnt seem to work. im pregant with my second child and im not getting enouf sleep at night.i just dont know what to do....

sweetleaf925

Asked by sweetleaf925 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let him CIO and when he starts hitting things and throwing tantrums spank his bottom and put him back to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• By going in and giving him a bottle and tending to him, you're reinforcing his habit of waking up and crying for these things. Let him cry and he will eventually give up and go to sleep. It may take a few nights, but really, he needs to learn to put himself back to sleep when he wakes up and you'll be so glad you did it. It's gonna be too hard on you to have 2 of them not sleeping through the night.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Anonymous, 14 months is too young to spank!

Don't give him the bottle when he awakens during the night. Go to him, comfort him and let him know you are nearby, but don't turn the lights on or anything like that. You will probably have to return a few times before he settles down, and it will take a week or two (depending on how stubborn he is!). Also, consider how you put him to bed. Does he go to sleep on his own, in his crib, in a darkened room? If not, changing the routine a bit might help.

Last, perhaps really fuzzy feet pajamas pr a blanket sleeper would work better than a blanket for now. My kids always wiggled out from under it at that age.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 4:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My 14 month old has been off of the bottle for a very long time. By him eating a good dinner and a few hours later he will have a cup of milk. He sleeps well through the night unless he is cutting new teeth. Perhaps try getting a sleep CD. My baby loves it and falls asleep to it every night.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 10:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I'm not cruel enough to CIO. I would worry about the bottle. What are you putting in it? Formula/milk at this age could hurt his teeth. With my son white noise always helped to soothe him. He does still wake at night to nurse but had I been consistant at 14 months with white noise and back pats, he'd likely be sleeping through the night now. And please don't spank him, he's just a baby.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2008