How can you retieve a drawstring that is inside the waistband?

I had this happen in the wash with a couple of pairs of sweatpants and the drawstrings don't have that hard plastic thing on the end so I can't push it around the waistband. The drawstring in partially in the waistband but don't know where the end is and can't grab it. Can't wear the pants until I can fix this. Help! And thanks for any suggestions.

confused969

Asked by confused969 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It sounds like they are the kind that tie in the front, right? Pull the entire cord out. Then put a big safety pin securely on one end and thread it back through the casing, a few inches at a time. Tie a knot in the free end so it does not happen again and when you are all done tie a knot in the end you just threaded through.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I make a small slit in the band where the string is then attach a safety pin to the string and thread it back through the waistband, then go back and stitch up the slit. Just did that last week to two pairs of adjustable jeans for the boys.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'd say pull it the whole way out and then attach a safety pin to put it back through... scrunch up the waste band and wiggle it around.
    hq9858

Answer by hq9858 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Push the end, scrunching the waistband, and pinch the end. May be harder because the plastic part is gone, but it will work if you give it time. Once you get it out, knot the ends to help keep this from happening in the future. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• open seams up bit pull out
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I find the string and very carefully work it back to the end and then make aure I tie a knot in that end.
    Leah8001

Answer by Leah8001 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011