Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about childsupport and getting him to sign over his rights.

I haven't done any research on this because right now its not a priority but I'm wondering about it.
The biological "father" of my twins has never been involved, and never tried to be involved. He has never been on the birth certificate.
I recieved TANF for three months last fall so I went through the process of filiing for child support. I don't think he's been served yet though.

someday I want to get married and I hope that man wants to adopt my children and be their father. so my questions are

if i ask for and/or recieve child support from the biological "father" will that automatically give him parental rights that I would need to have him sign over if a future husband wanted to adopt.

and if it does give him those rights, should I stop pursueing the child support so I don't have to deal with him getting parental rights.

(unless he decided to man up and be a father, then him having parental rights wouldnt be an issue. however, if all im getting his money then is this situation worth the trouble if i want to have them adopted later)

im tired so I hope this question makes sense.
thanks ladies


Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 20 (9,139 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • I am kinda going through something like that. I was on TANF for a few months and they required that I cooperate with the child support people to start a case. They want to make sure they get their money back. I'm not positive but once you put in the paperwork they will take care of it whether or not you say to. If they end up setting up child support successfully he will have some rights to his children. No matter whether or not you go through with this, if you are wanting to have another man adopt your children, you will have to search for him and get his permission before it will ever be granted.

    Answer by bdflykisses at 5:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • If you got TANF you know you signed paperwork saying you would go after him for child support so the state could be repaid. They would first establish paternity since he is not on the birth certificates. Once that is established any child support received first would go to the state and than any extra to you. I think you would know when and if they establish paternity.
    If you remarry and he has not been established then I do believe you do not need his permission. However, if and when he does pay child support (and at this point he will the state does not let these matters go) then you will have to get his permission.

    Answer by gemgem at 5:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • bdflykisses is right. Whether you file for child support or not, even though he is not on the birth certificate, you would have to find the biological father and get him to sign over his rights.

    Answer by ohwrite at 5:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011